How horrible would a 60lb wing be with double 80s... for 10days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UUUGGGHHHHH another one!?!

Another one what... SB'er heading to Truk?

There's still several spots left... :D

Another one what... SB'er heading to Truk?

There's still several spots left... :D
Recommend scheduling a separate fully guided "a la carte" tour with Truk Stop Dive Guide "Nuwa", on a grand tour of the San Francisco Maru or Aikoku Maru (or any other deep wreck of interest), with pick-up from & return to the Truk Siren -ask if it can be arranged (they have done it with divers from the Truk Odyssey Liveaboard). Depending on your SCR/SAC rate and an average depth range of 51m to 54m, you can do a 40min bottom time (55 to 60min max with an additional AL80 stage of bottom mix). You will need 20/20 (or 18/45 if you must have Standard Bottom Mix) for your doubles & optional AL80 Stage, an AL40 or AL63 of Nitrox50 and an AL40 of O2. The dive skiff has a contingency AL80 tank of O2 hanging at 6m.

Truk Stop Hotel/Truk Lagoon Dive Center is the only dive-op with Chuukese Guides Nuwa & Jerson trained in AN/DP with DIR long hose doubles config having extensive knowledge guiding at depth on the deeper wrecks for your bottom time, and can do the requisite deco time to surface with you.

Recommend scheduling a separate fully guided "a la carte" tour with Truk Stop Dive Guide "Nuwa", on a grand tour of the San Francisco Maru or Aikoku Maru (or any other deep wreck of interest), with pick-up from & return to the Truk Siren -ask if it can be arranged (they have done it with divers from the Truk Odyssey Liveaboard). Depending on your SCR/SAC rate and an average depth range of 51m to 54m, you can do a 40min bottom time (55 to 60min max with an additional AL80 stage of bottom mix). You will need 20/20 (or 18/45 if you must have Standard Bottom Mix) for your doubles & optional AL80 Stage, an AL40 or AL63 of Nitrox50 and an AL40 of O2. The dive skiff has a contingency AL80 tank of O2 hanging at 6m.

Truk Stop Hotel/Truk Lagoon Dive Center is the only dive-op with Chuukese Guides Nuwa & Jerson trained in AN/DP with DIR long hose doubles config having extensive knowledge guiding at depth on the deeper wrecks for your bottom time, and can do the requisite deco time to surface with you.

Might add a day or two on the back end... so it's possible. Was also wondering about maybe getting some dives in with Truk stop on saturday prior to departure... but I suspect I won't feel like it after 34hrs of champagne and korean food.

As of right now there are only TWO people on the Siren 2/25-3/7... so I expect to have a fair bit of flexibility during the trip.

:D

Might add a day or two on the back end... so it's possible. Was also wondering about maybe getting some dives in with Truk stop on saturday prior to departure... but I suspect I won't feel like it after 34hrs of champagne and korean food.

As of right now there are only TWO people on the Siren 2/25-3/7... so I expect to have a fair bit of flexibility during the trip.

:D
Easy short deco dives for first two days to sensitize the body to the inert gas loads (unless you've been doing a lot of "work-up" deco dives in home waters already) -IOW don't deco dive the San Francisco Maru on the first day of the trip for a two hour total run time!

Some buoyancy notes: I used a Halcyon 40 Explorer Wing with AL Backplate, and 6lbs trim weight pouch in the upper middle of my back (ouch!) attached to upper BP bolt thru-hole, in order to keep my upper torso level -otherwise my head would come up & knees/fins would rotate down into the silt upon inhalation from Reg. Exposure suit was only 0.5mm skinsuit & 2mm hooded vest with UTD heater belt, and using the lighter ScubaPro Sport Jets (that is, I discarded the heavy ScubaPro Jetfins 'cause my legs/feet were rotating down as described above).

The 40 Explorer Wing with the Double AL80's was fully inflated pre-descent/pre-dive on initial back-roll splash-in, barely keeping my head above the surface swells, with three full stage/deco AL80 tanks of Bottom Mix, Nitrox50 and O2 attached.

Reactions: RJP
I have 60lb Halcyon Evolve.
Sometimes I dive with steel doubles LP85 with/without stage and sometimes with AL80 doubles without stage (depends of the country and goals), all dives in 55 F and up water, some dry and some wet suits.
I know that 60 lb is too much, I just had a good deal for it once.
I never had real issue with wing size, but for courses (specially GUE where good buoyancy control is the most important part) I prefer to take Halcyon Evolve 40 lb from friends.
Once I will find super deal for Halcyon Evolve 40 lb, I will replace mine.

So how was the Trip (weather and what wrecks & dive profiles did you do), and how did your Halcyon 40 Evolve Wing perform? Did you get to dive and meet anyone from Truk Stop?

Heading to Truk for 10 days where I'll be diving AL80's, plus a 40 for 02 and maybe slinging another 80 on some dives.

I have a Halycon 60lb wing I use here at home with double steel 119's. While I think it's technically overkill buoyancy-wise for the rig I'll be diving in Truk, I'm wondering how much the 60 will be flapping in the breeze?

Last time in Truk I was able to borrow a Halcyon 40 and it worked out fine, though I was only slinging a 40. Just wondering if it's worth the trouble trying to scrounge up a loaner before I head out in two weeks? I vaguely recall laying the 60 and the 40 on top of each other last time and being surprised at how little difference there was.

Appreciate any thoughts folks who've actually dove a 60lb wing with AL80s might have.

For further context I'll also be toting a Salvo 21w can light and/or a camera on the dives. Oh... and diving dry.

I dove Halcyon Evolve (60lbs) with AL80s in Florida, since that was all I had, and I had major issues with air getting trapped, and not being able to vent easily.

I've intentionally put together some less than ideal combination of wing and cylinders and exposure suit in an effort to fully understand the impacts of such. As others have stated having too much wing is not fun. Harder to vent. Less stable. I'd look for a smaller wing for warm water and al 80's. Enjoy your trip.

Tobin

I've intentionally put together some less than ideal combination of wing and cylinders and exposure suit in an effort to fully understand the impacts of such. As others have stated having too much wing is not fun. Harder to vent. Less stable. I'd look for a smaller wing for warm water and al 80's. Enjoy your trip.

Tobin

Per follow-up post above, the good Dr Lecter sent me a gently used Halcyon Evolve 40 which served me well over 34 dives in ten days on the Truk Siren. Having dove this model wing with AL80's in the past - in Truk in fact - I knew it'd be the right size.

Fujikawa_Ray.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun!

Back
Top Bottom