How horrible would a 60lb wing be with double 80s... for 10days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A related question: Would a steel BP be well matched with the 80's doubles?

A related question: Would a steel BP be well matched with the 80's doubles?
For me at 5'7" & 155lbs and with a TLS 350 Drysuit, Jetfins and thin jumpsuit or just base sweat wicking layer, I might not need any more extra weight to trim it out -or slight tail weight if feet getting too floaty with minimal drysuit inflation.

I'd say don't bring the 60 wing and get the 40 --too floppy & loose and another larger snag hazard to manage inside the wreck. You also want to be able to hover in horizontal trim either with limbs fully extended or passively hanging down relaxed without knees/fins touching stirring-up silt below -all with possibly a stage cylinder of bottom mix attached as well.

Addendum: Again do not attempt to exit that forward hatch restriction in the I-169 Submarine unless you're sure to fit thru on dismount/no mount SM technique. Even as small as I am, got stuck & keyholed for a few minutes before struggling out: once you commit forward, it's too difficult physically turning/contorting back around to abort & egress through a now resulting total silt-out. . .

Last edited:
Reactions: RJP
Heading to Truk for 10 days where I'll be diving AL80's, plus a 40 for 02 and maybe slinging another 80 on some dives.

I have a Halycon 60lb wing I use here at home with double steel 119's. While I think it's technically overkill buoyancy-wise for the rig I'll be diving in Truk, I'm wondering how much the 60 will be flapping in the breeze?

Last time in Truk I was able to borrow a Halcyon 40 and it worked out fine, though I was only slinging a 40. Just wondering if it's worth the trouble trying to scrounge up a loaner before I head out in two weeks? I vaguely recall laying the 60 and the 40 on top of each other last time and being surprised at how little difference there was.

Appreciate any thoughts folks who've actually dove a 60lb wing with AL80s might have.

For further context I'll also be toting a Salvo 21w can light and/or a camera on the dives. Oh... and diving dry.

One of my Dive Masters was diving with the Halcyon 60lb for a while. He is a GUE fan so he always had his twin 80s out and about with him. While his wing did flap around a bit, he never once died from it. I personally have a 35lb wing for my 80s, but I would not spend hundreds on a new wing just for a 10 day trip. If you really want to though, I know a guy who sells them :wink: Extra lift should not hurt, and who doesn't like tacos?

RJP, which dive-op are you going out with? I only know of Liveaboard Truk Odyssey that has steel 120's that are only singles; Truk-Stop has AL100 singles but I can't recall if they have the larger bands to double them up.

Thanks Kev, I'll pack my 45 pound wing and steel BP for my Florida and Truk trips using twin 80's.

For me at 5'7" & 155lbs and with a TLS 350 Drysuit, Jetfins and thin jumpsuit or just base sweat wicking layer, I might not need any more extra weight to trim it out -or slight tail weight if feet getting too floaty with minimal drysuit inflation.

I'd say don't bring the 60 wing and get the 40 --too floppy & loose and another larger snag hazard to manage inside the wreck. You also want to be able to hover in horizontal trim either with limbs fully extended or passively hanging down relaxed without knees/fins touching stirring-up silt below -all with possibly a stage cylinder of bottom mix attached as well.

Addendum: Again do not attempt to exit that forward hatch restriction in the I-169 Submarine unless you're sure to fit thru on dismount/no mount SM technique. Even as small as I am, got stuck & keyholed for a few minutes before struggling out: once you commit forward, it's too difficult physically turning/contorting back around to abort & egress through a now resulting total silt-out. . .

RJP, which dive-op are you going out with? I only know of Liveaboard Truk Odyssey that has steel 120's that are only singles; Truk-Stop has AL100 singles but I can't recall if they have the larger bands to double them up.

Crazy-good last-minute deal on the Truk Siren and nailed down free round-trip first class air from JFK in my own private "Kosmo Suite" on Korean air. Combine that with Dr Lechter hooking me up with a gently used Halcyon Evolve 40 (per his offer above) and I'll be good to go with AL80s. I go through this calculus every 18-24mo, so figured I'd lay down a few bucks and end the madness. (I"m also getting close to being too old for double 119's here at home.)

C-Dub - I find the steel BP and AL80s work perfectly. With the tropical drysuit I need no lead but can still swim it up if my wing, suit, and lift bag ALL fail.

I realized you'd probably do some penetration, but given that there would be some distribution of gas between wing and suit, I figured you'd only really need to make sure you got all the air out of the wing when you were doing your ascent, which would be in open water.

Crazy-good last-minute deal on the Truk Siren and nailed down free round-trip first class air from JFK in my own private "Kosmo Suite" on Korean air. Combine that with Dr Lechter hooking me up with a gently used Halcyon Evolve 40 (per his offer above) and I'll be good to go with AL80s. I go through this calculus every 18-24mo, so figured I'd lay down a few bucks and end the madness. (I"m also getting close to being too old for double 119's here at home.)

C-Dub - I find the steel BP and AL80s work perfectly. With the tropical drysuit I need no lead but can still swim it up if my wing, suit, and lift bag ALL fail.
You will be passing through the Truk Stop Hotel Pier/Dockside facilities and the Truk Lagoon Dive Center. Any last minute logistical support for gear, sling kitted deco/stage AL40, 63 and 80 cylinders, or Helium/Oxygen at $3.85 & $1.14 per cubic foot respectively! -talk to Martin or Gary (Cindy will be there at Truk Stop until March, and her husband Rob is leaving Monday16 Feb). Martin also knows how to operate the Recompression Chamber if anybody has problems during your charter.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 11:32 AM ----------

I realized you'd probably do some penetration, but given that there would be some distribution of gas between wing and suit, I figured you'd only really need to make sure you got all the air out of the wing when you were doing your ascent, which would be in open water.
Lynne, some of these wrecks are down on their sides, with depth delta variations inside them ranging from 8 to 12 meters (essentially the physical width of the ship's beam). RJP may be inflating & deflating the wing quite frequently inside, especially going down & up a ship's spaces like a large cargo transport Bridge Superstructure on her side (examples would be the huge Heian Maru or the Rio de Janeiro Maru). . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom