DIR- GUE Appropriate wing lift capacity for steel doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, of course the wing needs to have enough lift to float the rig with full back tanks if you doff it at the surface. We dive from small boats sometimes so to get back on the boat you have to remove your rig, flop yourself into the boat, and then pull your rig up. In practice though any reasonable wing will have plenty of lift for that unless you have an unusually large amount of integrated weight. And you clip your rig off to a gear line anyway so even if the wing leaks it's not going to sink.

It's not a bad idea necessarily. Most drysuit divers use SS backplates for salt water diving in order to carry less lead elsewhere. But you have to experiment to find out what gives you optimal trim. Some divers prefer to use an aluminum plate and then add extra lead as a tail weight in order to shift their center of mass lower.

For fresh water diving an SS backplate might leave you over weighted. But again that's an individual thing. You have to do a weight and trim check to know for certain.
Thanks. I purchased and Evolve 40 for double aluminum 80s and wondered if it would be good for Faber HP100s. I also have a couple of SS backplates so it is good to know they are usable in salt water. Much appreciated.

Also, I had seen this video in the past that goes along with everything which has been noted in this thread:

I dive LP85s with a Kidex plate and zero lead. 40# wing and drysuit in 50's water. Still back heavy so a few trim pounds in front is useful for trim. Either way, dive a balanced rig first and wing size is less a issue.

Thanks. I purchased and Evolve 40 for double aluminum 80s and wondered if it would be good for Faber HP100s. I also have a couple of SS backplates so it is good to know they are usable in salt water. Much appreciated.

Also, I had seen this video in the past that goes along with everything which has been noted in this thread:

Did you end up going with 40# lift for your trip? I'm probably about to embark on the PADI Tech progression and will likely be in doubles for the first time in September. My current Scubapro wing is only 30 so I know I need to increase, just not sure what to. I can't envision me in anything past dual steel HP100s (at the moment).

Did you end up going with 40# lift for your trip? I'm probably about to embark on the PADI Tech progression and will likely be in doubles for the first time in September. My current Scubapro wing is only 30 so I know I need to increase, just not sure what to. I can't envision me in anything past dual steel HP100s (at the moment).
DM sent.

I will eventually talk you into taking Fundies. LOL

40 Evolve for me with double HP100 or LP80 + 1 AL80 bottle. I don't think canister light, tail weight .. make a difference if you rig is balanced because that is part of your balance rig ballast. I have used both 40 and 60, the 40 is a lot easier to dive with 7.25" tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom