How expensive is tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you read my first paragraph?
Honestly? As expensive as you let it be. I JUST graduated college and currently have an entry-level job, so I'm by no means "affluent" or "wealthy." I did what was recommended to you by everyone else on here. I worked at a shop as a slave (DiveMaster Candidate) for WAY too many hours, and I got a big discount on gear. I also bought used, bought the minimum needed (not bare minimum, but not far from it), I bought high quality (or else I'd be buying twice), and I bought whenever I could.

I had a long PM conversation with someone before I transitioned from rec to cave about the cost of things, and it prepared me. I was more able to plan things ahead. I wasn't hit with the sudden realization that it required WAY more cash than I thought. In fact, getting a list together of potential costs helped me out. I looked at the list, and whenever I had money coming in I'd simply earmark the cash for something on the list. When friends went out and ran up big bar tabs, and I had a coke.....I'd remind myself that I was doing it for my mask. Having a list of what I needed, what I wanted, and the approximate cost helped line up gifts, trips, expenditures, and it helped limit my splurging. If it wasn't on my list, I didn't need it, so I didn't buy it.

As far as $100 O2 analyzers, I'm honestly curious where you can get it. I'm about to purchase my first O2 analyzer and have been looking for something cheaper than the Oxycheq one that was reliable. As for buying an He analyzer, I was told every trimix diver needs one. I don't dive that stuff, so I didn't know. Also, if you're calling a $250 dive computer expensive then you should think that through. Compared to a bottom-timer and depth gauge, maybe....but it's not CRAZY expensive. I also didn't say you NEEDED a $1000 O2 analyzer, I simply stated they can go for $200-$1000. What "special flippers" did I mention? I simply mentioned that a new pair of Tech fins costs ~$150. I bought mine for $120 and need spring straps still ($30). Hollis F1's go for more than that. Find me new tanks cheaper than what I listed, I again don't mean that angrily. I am looking to buy tanks sometime in the near(ish) future and would love to know where to go.

As for those regs, again....I was just showing a range. I don't own those, nor would I ever. My regs were purchased cheap through a shop, and they were purchased slowly!

Honestly? I think you need to chill out. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I'm not trying to scare him off, I was listing it off. It may have not been perfect, but how about correcting it with your own list instead of just blasting me. At least UCFDiver posted some numbers. My list was from personal experience (except for the He stuff), and was showing a range of cheap to overkill for new gear. If you disagree with it, PLEASE create your own list. I'm still on a tight budget. I still have to scrimp and save for the gear I purchase. I'm looking into getting deeper into Tech diving and the majority of the list is from stuff that I want and/or have recently purchased. If you post your list, I can modify mine and it'll truly be helpful. What you're doing is not. Fine, you want me to tell the OP it's not expensive?

OP: disregard ALL posts everywhere about the cost of tech diving and ONLY listen to AJ. It's cheap. So cheap, in fact, a guy PAID me to take his gear from him. Compressor, boat, 100+ tanks, 6 BPW setups, 100 regulators, 1000 reg parts kits, and a free DMC to maintain all of my gear for me. Boy, I sure wish I would've started tech diving sooner!

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 03:27 PM ----------

Lol, what I meant was: If you're buying and using a computer, used can be risky. You can't "guess" your depth accurately enough to get you out alive. I didn't mean to start a computer vs tables debate....PLEASE NO!

Agreed....but how often do you see them for sale? And how much cheaper than new are they when they DO come up for sale? I saw a 3 year old Predator sell for like $750 recently while a brand new Petrel is $900. I'd spend the extra $150, personally.

guy, you're trying to convince someone with WAY more experience and gear than you (that he bought the bulk of for less than half of what you're saying it should cost) to think it through.
tech diving is expensive. but not prohibitively so. maybe listen to those guys instead of trying to teach them something...

I think they're comparing apples to oranges. One guy is saying you can be very frugal, and thrifty if you're willing to be patient, while the other guy is saying if you are hell bent on buying new, here's the numbers you're probably looking at.

Look, I run into people all the time who will ONLY buy new. I think it's dumb to spend 1k on tanks when there are lots of good ones for 500. But hey, it's your money, use it how you want.

For new gear, his numbers aren't unreasonable. I'd try to talk you out of buying new because even with a bunch of used gear, this sport will cost you a few grand.

I think they're comparing apples to oranges. One guy is saying you can be very frugal, and thrifty if you're willing to be patient, while the other guy is saying if you are hell bent on buying new, here's the numbers you're probably looking at.

Look, I run into people all the time who will ONLY buy new. I think it's dumb to spend 1k on tanks when there are lots of good ones for 500. But hey, it's your money, use it how you want.

For new gear, his numbers aren't unreasonable. I'd try to talk you out of buying new because even with a bunch of used gear, this sport will cost you a few grand.
if you buy everything new it costs more. that's a true story :)
but the bulk of all the gear you're fine buying used if you're careful. and it can save you thousands of dollars.
there's an al80 on cdf right now for 80 bucks OBO. if I didn't already have al80s coming out of my ears I'd buy it. but deals like that are everywhere

guy, you're trying to convince someone with WAY more experience and gear than you (that he bought the bulk of for less than half of what you're saying it should cost) to think it through.
tech diving is expensive. but not prohibitively so. maybe listen to those guys instead of trying to teach them something...

I'm really not trying to teach anything. I simply don't see where I'm wrong. My numbers are pretty accurate for NEW GEAR. Aren't they?

I'm really not trying to teach anything. I simply don't see where I'm wrong. My numbers are pretty accurate for NEW GEAR. Aren't they?
I suppose your estimates match MSRP for new gear.

Very very few people actually pay that, given the fact that dive gear is 100% markup and there are so many struggling shops; but if anyone were to want to spend way more money than required you gave them a good baseline.

Thank you.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

Very very few people actually pay that, given the fact that dive gear is 100% markup and there are so many struggling shops; but if anyone were to want to spend way more money than required you gave them a good baseline.

James, there's a difference between MSRP and Retail. $500 for doubles regs isn't unreasonable new. In fact, it's pretty cheap Edd is selling a Hog reg set for BM doubles for $500. Well below MSRP. I know gear markup is nearly 100%. On some items, it's over 100%. However, unless you're involved with a dive shop then it's hard to get much under retail if you're buying new.

Starting with:
Atomic Z2 and Aqualung Octo
Suunto Dive Computer
Oxycheq wing with a dive rite BP
Scubapro Jet fins

Not so bad.

...//... I want to do tech but if it means diving less than Id rather stay recreational and just dive more.

OK, I see a complete lack of something specific that is driving you to tech. I can relate to that. What if you target more down time, doubles, a simple configuration, and no more than 15 minutes of deco? That IS tech, you know.

...//... How much does a typical tech charter cost? ...//...

$100 + tip.

...//... What about gas fills? I pay 13 dollars for nitrox fills ...//...

$13 EAN28

...//... Any other hidden costs? ...//...

Drysuit, a good one with a p-valve. Two sets of doubles (HP100's) and one (40 cuft) deco cylinder. (you can start by doing deco on backgas, the deco cylinder is for the all-important O2)

DIN conversion for your existing primary reg

Decent undergarments and a really good light.

Two more classes and a buddy that wants to dive the way you do.

...//... what kind of gear investment are we looking at? ...//...

Two more primary regs, One more secondary reg, a drysuit, two sets of doubles, a deco bottle, and a dive computer that will allow you to gas switch.

Actually, his prices aren't far off of MAP, and lots of people pay that.

I was wondering how expensive would going into tech be? I have researched course prices for advanced nitrox, deco-procedures etc and they are not cheap. But once you do get certified, can anyone give me and idea as to

1. what kind of gear investment are we looking at? Is it necessary to own 8 different regulator sets etc? It is understandable to collect gear as you go up in training experience but if you get 6 different regulators serviced annually, that alone is a lot of money. No? Are all tech guys extremely rich people? (Doctors, CEO, dentists etc)

2. How much does a typical tech charter cost?

3. What about gas fills? I pay 13 dollars for nitrox fills so how much would helium and trimix etc cost?

Any other hidden costs? Thanks. I want to do tech but if it means diving less than Id rather stay recreational and just dive more.

Hokay, so, I will hit on all your Q's at the request of others.

So for gear investments, first you need to take stock of what you currently have. If you don't own anything, GREAT! Stop right there and don't buy a single piece of anything till you're 100% sure you can use it. If you already have stuff, what do you have? Al80s? Sweet. A reg? Even better. I see you live in VA, drysuit? Awesome. Pony bottle? You can probably press it into deco bottle duty.

Learn 2 eBay. Ebay is the trick to getting stuff on the cheap. Be patient. You can score awesome stuff on there for next to nothing. There was a steel halcyon backplate and harness sold last week for 106 dollars.
Learn 2 craigslist. Esp for tanks. People sell tanks on the regular for cheap because they don't know what its worth. That 'paintball tank' for 50 bucks is a luxfer al80. Score 2 of those, some bands, and a used manifold and you've got yourself a set of entry level doubles.

Learn what regs are good and which ones suck. Used g250s pop up on ebay as a matter of course for like 130 dollars, same with mk5, 10, and 20s. To start tech diving, you need 3 2nd stages and 3 1st stages. I'm a scubapro fan, others are apeks. Git what ya can git.

Already own a reg? Cool beans. That reg is now your deco reg. Get a DIN conversion for it, use your octo hose, put that SPG on a 6'' hose and BOOM, instant deco reg. Total investment to convert it for tech diving? 40 or 50 bucks. Dat ebay, use it for your DIN conversion.

Wash, rinse, repeat for everything else you need.

Charters vary by region. Ask around locally.

Ok, so now we're on to gas fills. In my experience, most technical shops charge by the cubic foot. Nitrox 32% is like 8cents/cuft where I go. You might pay more, idk. Helium is more expensive, like 70cents or maybe even a dollar. Ask around. Some shops have specials where u buy a pre-determined number of fills for a certain price and pay it all up front for a substantial discount. Ask.

Heres a neat trick about helium and nitrox. To make 21/35 (a gas that you'll probably use as an entry-level tech diver, appropriate for 150' dives) you fill the tanks 35% full with helium, then top off the rest with nitrox. Cool, huh? Especially cool if your shop banks nitrox, which more and more do these days. Also, your tanks will probably never be truly emptied since you're a smart diver and adhearing to a reasonable gas plan.

I don't know where you plan on diving or if you need a drysuit, but inexpensive used ones can be had. I got a used tls350 for 800 and I've been rocking that thing for years. Fits like a glove.

Hidden costs: You now own more stuff than the average diver. More stuff to break. I service regs as-needed. Remember when I said to learn about regs? Ya, do that. Its important. That way you know when you really need to service them.Scubapro recently changed their recommended service intervals from 1yr to 2yrs. So uhh....did you really need to service them annually before that recommendation came out? Clearly not.

To sum it up, you don't *need* a lot of gear. Its nice to have your own tanks, your own regs, and your own suit. You *can* spend a ridiculous amount, but then I'd make fun of you because you'd have no money left over to pay for gas and trips so you can use all that fancy gear.

Now, one thing I DON'T recommend trying to save a buck on is training. You can have the fanciest of the fancy gear, the top notch Shearwater dive computer, heated underware from Santi, Suex XK1 scooters, and a fleet of new mk25/g260s, and still drown because you didn't have solid training. If you haven't noticed, tech divers still die, and its not the gear that kills them (usually). Its from not paying attention to their training. Don't be one of those people.

James, there's a difference between MSRP and Retail. $500 for doubles regs isn't unreasonable new. In fact, it's pretty cheap Edd is selling a Hog reg set for BM doubles for $500. Well below MSRP. I know gear markup is nearly 100%. On some items, it's over 100%. However, unless you're involved with a dive shop then it's hard to get much under retail if you're buying new.

This makes a good point of... if you're going to get into tech diving and start to spend a lot of money...hang around at your LDS a LOT, start networking, do things for them, come to their events, make friends with the owners and most of the employees, do class dive-alongs with their classes just to get wet. Basically become the Dive Bar Fly at your LDS.

BTW: DRIS has 2 HOG D1 1st stages, 2 2nd stages, the nice metal/glass SPG and all needed hoses (any length) for $400. Easy set of doubles, or add a 2nd SPG for sidemount.

the D1's are older models and a few places are dumping them with really good deals on full packages (MUCH cheaper than sourcing it all separately)
Nothing wrong with them, but people always want the latest model for some reason...so enjoy the savings on scooping up great deals on the older models :D

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 04:37 PM ----------

Learn 2 craigslist. Esp for tanks. People sell tanks on the regular for cheap because they don't know what its worth. That 'paintball tank' for 50 bucks is a luxfer al80. Score 2 of those, some bands, and a used manifold and you've got yourself a set of entry level doubles.

My best deal ever was 4 x LP85 for $400 total SCORE!!!!

Also the OP should check the CDF for sale section, its full of people getting out of cave and liquidating all their gear.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom