How expensive is tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly? As expensive as you let it be. I JUST graduated college and currently have an entry-level job, so I'm by no means "affluent" or "wealthy." I did what was recommended to you by everyone else on here. I worked at a shop as a slave (DiveMaster Candidate) for WAY too many hours, and I got a big discount on gear. I also bought used, bought the minimum needed (not bare minimum, but not far from it), I bought high quality (or else I'd be buying twice), and I bought whenever I could. As far as initial outlay, there are essentials:

Initial Outlay Essentials:
Drysuit - $1000-$2000
BCD - $500-$1000
Slate - $20
Computer/BT - $250-$1200
Tech fins - $150
Primary Regs - $500-$2000
Deco Regs - $500-$2000
Masks - $50-$200
SMB - $20-$120
Lift Bag - $50-$100
Reels/spools - $20-$300
Tanks - $250-$1000 (not required, but it can be hard to find doubles or "good" SM tanks for rent)
Deco bottles - $160-$300
O2 Analyzer - $200-$1000 (recent incidents have scared me senseless, get analyzers!)
CO Analyzer - $140-$350
He Analyzer - $1000 (if you get into He diving)
Argon bottle/reg - $80-$150 (if you go Trimix)
Backup lights - $100-$600
Canister light - $1000-$2500 (required in some agencies, normally a good idea)

Training costs:
AN/DP are about $400 each for tuition. Plus gas, etc, you're easily over $1000
Each subsequent step approaches $1k as well.

Annual costs:
Reg Servicing: 4 regs x 2 stages per reg x $25 per stage = $200 per year (not including Argon)
Tank servicing: 4 tanks x ($15 vis + (.2*$50) hydro) = $100 per year (not including Argon)
Analyzers: 2 analyzers x .5 sensors per year x $75 per sensor = $75 per year (Not including Helium)

Cost of Diving: (I'm guessing, or relating to my diving...even though I don't do Deco I dive caves)
Gasoline - $100
Hotel - $100
Fills - $40-$300
Charter - $150-$500
Wow, these estimates are so far off I'm not even sure where to begin.

I paid $75 for my BT in 2007 and still have it today.
Used jet fins with spring straps can be had for $50-65
I don't own a slate, nor do any of my tech buddies.
My last two wings I've purchased were each $200 or less (Halcyon/Oxycheq) and in mint condition
My primary reg setup cost about $500 for everything (Scubapro MK25/G250v + Glass SPG)
I've never seen the need for 2 analyzers-- I have one oxycheq that I just replace the sensor as needed.
If you own a Helium analyzer, you don't need to buy a separate o2 analyzer.
I bought two Halcyon scout backup lights in 2007 or 2008 for $50/ea on clearance as they were getting a new model.
My last set of doubles were $500, the most I've paid (new hydro and filled with 18/45) was $650.
Piranha dive has a frameless mask for $20 Explorer II Frameless Mask " Titanium Frame w/ Titanium Color Skirt"

You say you dive caves. Villas de Rosa is $65ish/nt for lodging, and anywhere in cave country is less than that. By the time you split it with your buddy, it's $30-40/diver, no where near $100.

Once again, insanely over exaggerated costs for tech diving.

2000 dollars for backgas regs? They better come with hookers and blow for that price.
This reg right here costs nearly $2000 for a single post, and that's not including an SPG or hoses. You can buy Atomic Aquatics regs all day long that break $2000 for a full doubles setup. Slightly more if you go sidemount and need the additional SPG/hose and want swivels. So, yeah, up to $2k.

To the OP, you can get into tech diving for way less than the majority of these estimates. There's a pair of XL jet fins for a whopping 13 dollars on ebay. The above state "$150" for 'tech fins'. Come on guys...

Tech fins are ~$150 new. Some cheaper, some more expensive. You can get jet fins used for cheap, I was just pointing out what it could cost if you bought new....and most of my prices reflect new. Sticking to new, though, what on my price list is inaccurate? What isn't necessary (besides what I already noted) on the list above? If you're flexible as far as what you want, flexible as far as how long it'll take for you to get it, and flexible with the overall longevity of the item....then you can buy everything I listed used for a song, but you'll be diving Conshelfs and a mis-fitting drysuit. I, for one, am an abnormal size (6'6") so I couldn't find a used drysuit that was in good shape quickly. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced, good drysuit that would fit me. I am not willing to wait and collect used gear over months or years before taking my tech class.

Used gear you can get frequently (and that is wise to get, IMHO) would be: lights, reel, spools, fins.....and that's it. Gamble told me used drysuits are hardly EVER worth purchasing....there's a reason they're selling it. Regs are life support, plus you can normally get new regs for the price of used if you include the service cost. BCD, if you're diving doubles then it's different...but in SM you want to make sure you get the RIGHT rig, and they aren't for sale very often. I got my last SM harness used and it was fine, but I lucked into its availability, timing, and price. Analyzers are rarely worth it used because replacing sensors is like half the cost of the units. Tanks CAN but rarely go on deep sales, and they're normally way out of hydro when they do. Your mask is a personal fit item, that age can seriously disturb. After a while on someone's face, the mask can start to conform to it. A new mask will have a softer skirt that will fit YOU better. A dive computer is crucial, and it's something that's too easy to break/mess-up/flood/etc....plus if the pressure sensor starts going then it could be a lesson you learn too late. The rest of the stuff is too cheap to be worth mentioning buying used. Saving $15 on a slate isn't a bad idea, but in the realm of everything I listed....$15 is pretty trivial.

I don't mean this with sarcasm and I'm not goading you into anything....I'm honestly asking: Do you think I'm wrong in my above assertions?

My point was that Tech diving can be as expensive as you let it be.

Exaggerated, but not probably not so much as you'd think. Buying new, jet fins and spring straps are going to cost over $100. Buying new, bottom of the line doubles kit w/ the HOG package from DRIS is $549. Buying new, a set of steel doubles will run you ~$1kish. You can buy used. But used gear comes with its own headaches. Rebuilding regulators and tumbling tanks that you got a deal on adds up. Some things make sense to buy used (jet fins, for instance). Some things don't.

I was wondering how expensive would going into tech be? I have researched course prices for advanced nitrox, deco-procedures etc and they are not cheap. But once you do get certified, can anyone give me and idea as to

1. what kind of gear investment are we looking at? Is it necessary to own 8 different regulator sets etc? It is understandable to collect gear as you go up in training experience but if you get 6 different regulators serviced annually, that alone is a lot of money. No? Are all tech guys extremely rich people? (Doctors, CEO, dentists etc)

2. How much does a typical tech charter cost?

3. What about gas fills? I pay 13 dollars for nitrox fills so how much would helium and trimix etc cost?

Any other hidden costs? Thanks. I want to do tech but if it means diving less than Id rather stay recreational and just dive more.

Define "tech" what are you wanting to do? It depends what you will need, what kind of training you will want, and then easier to figure out what the cost will be.
Advanced Nitrox/Deco is a technical course... so there's one tech course already you will have out of the way. Do you want to do wreck penetrations, or really deep diving or cave diving, etc?

That said:
1 - Gear depend what you want to do. When I moved into Cave diving, I bought a sidemount rig, bought a few extra parts and split my open water reg setup into a sidemount setup. When I took my Deco course, I needed MORE reg sets (stage, and o2 bottle)... I borrowed these for my course. I ended up buying a 3rd set, but still need a 4th. One of my spare reg sets moved into full time use, so now I have no more spares. Purchase user-servicable regs. Once you learn how, its not hard..the kits are cheap depending on the brands (I have all HOG regs). There's no reason to pay top dollar for "big name" stuff that you can't work on yourself.

As far as being rich? HAHAHAHA My friends and I that all cave dive just collected a lot of stuff over the years to end up with all the stuff we have today. I just shopped around for the best deals on gear, staying away from the big name stores and big name brands. You can end up with a lot better gear for 1/2 the price most of the time. I've always shopped for tech gear on a budget and now have a LOT of really nice stuff that is much nicer or performs much better than a lot of the stuff I see Rec divers on cattle boats diving with that cost them a LOT more. Collect tech items a little at a time, and before you know it you will have a garage full of gear.

2 - Tech charter.. I'm assuming you're just going to be wreck diving on boats? No idea there on boats... but as for tech diving in caves... in FL most of them are either part of the state park system, or are on public land, so its either free or a couple bucks for the state park fees (or most of us buy an annual pass). Costs are just a tank of gas for the truck (less if you carpool), lunch, dinner, etc and splitting for a motel if you end up staying the weekend. Otherwise.. most will advertize prices on their websites for tech boat diving. Some boats are more tech friendly than others, so call around, check websites for individual charter operations, etc.

3 - Depending where you go.. many technically oriented shops may charge by the cubic foot for gas. This makes it cheaper for those diving 1/3's and such as you only need to fill what you used. More recreational type shops charge by the tank full regardless of how much is in your tank already.
My LDS charges about $8/nitrox/tank ... my not so LDS I frequent when cave diving charges $.10/CuFt for Nitrox and does overfilling on LP tanks.
A typical day of cave diving I will have two sets of LP85's and maybe a stage I partially use...costs me about $10 or less TOTAL to refill all of them with Nitrox at the end of the day. My LDS in cave country charges $.35/CuFt for 21/30 mix, and more more for higher He amounts.

It just depends where you go, what area you're filling at, where in the country/world you live. It's dirt cheap in North Florida for fills.
I personally can't afford the Trimix fills, so I just stick to nitrox and not diving as deep. It keeps my diving costs way down.

My buddy lives up in Richmond, VA and said stuff is VERY expensive there. When I went to visit once, I stopped by his LDS where he took his OW at an was appalled at some of the prices in there vs what we have in FL. He waited until he visited FL to buy all his gear and only does diving when he comes to visit down here because it's so much cheaper than back in VA.

Yeah, I think you're trying to show off how much $$ you can sling around. A titanium yoke reg (lol) isn't even a good choice for tech diving.

If you wanna waste money in an already expensive hobby, then go nuts. But its ridiculous to assert that you need a $1000 dollar oxygen analyzer when you get get one for 100 bucks, and equally ridiculous to claim that you 'need' an expensive dive computer, special flippers, overpriced tanks, a helium analyzer (I know 1 person who owns one, maybe 2), etc etc.

The OP is already concerned about the cost, so is the point of your post to try and scare him off with your list of "essentials"? Its baloney. Sorry.

Wow, these estimates are so far off I'm not even sure where to begin.

I paid $75 for my BT in 2007 and still have it today.
You're right on this one, I was thinking computer. I have a DG03 ($250) that doubles as a bottom timer.
Used jet fins with spring straps can be had for $50-65
As mentioned in my last post, I was talking new.
I don't own a slate, nor do any of my tech buddies.
Dude, that's $20. Fine, take $20 off the list.
My last two wings I've purchased were each $200 or less (Halcyon/Oxycheq) and in mint condition
A new backplate/wing package starts at $500, do they not? Even if you count used...you're still at ~$250 for the BPW.
My primary reg setup cost about $500 for everything (Scubapro MK25/G250v + Glass SPG)
$500 is in my range, clearly not that far off.
I've never seen the need for 2 analyzers-- I have one oxycheq that I just replace the sensor as needed.
CO and O2 is a bad idea? I don't think it's bad to have one of each.
If you own a Helium analyzer, you don't need to buy a separate o2 analyzer.
I meant to add a note in there for that, you're right.
I bought two Halcyon scout backup lights in 2007 or 2008 for $50/ea on clearance as they were getting a new model.
2x$50 is $100, right in my range. How is that wrong?
My last set of doubles were $500, the most I've paid (new hydro and filled with 18/45) was $650.
Again right in my range. However, those were also used...right? Try getting a new pair of doubles with bands and manifolds RETAIL for under $500. I was thinking you could get double AL80's for ~$500 new. In SM you could get your mains (AL80's) for ~$300 or steels for ~$500.
I forgot about those, but I've heard bad reviews. It's also hard to get a good fit from online. Regardless, that's a $30 argument. I'll concede it.

You say you dive caves. Villas de Rosa is $65ish/nt for lodging, and anywhere in cave country is less than that. By the time you split it with your buddy, it's $30-40/diver, no where near $100.
I was assuming you'd spend more than 1 night. I do when I go. My usual outing is drive out Friday night, drive back Sunday afternoon. That way you get 2 days of diving and the gas gets split between them. I was assuming ~$50 a night per person for lodging. Your ~$30-$40 isn't far off.

Once again, my list was for new items. Also, amongst your list you had a discrepancy of a total of ~$500.

A dive computer is crucial, and it's something that's too easy to break/mess-up/flood/etc....

Oh that line is going to get some people wound up.

Personally, I'd have no issue whatsoever buying a used Shearwater computer. Shearwater Research is going to treat you like you're a new customer regardless. While a computer is really really nice to have, it's not crucial. I've made hundreds of tech dives without a computer.

At any rate, you guys can puff your chest up and argue til you're blue in the face. Some of you guys don't post unless you have an opportunity to argue the other side of the coin. We get it. You're smart, the rest of us are all dumb. Move on.

The fact of the matter is, tech is very expensive. Don't let anyone fool you. Now, it could be expensive on the scale of a few thousands of dollars by buying used gear, and taking classes hit and miss with cheaper (and sometimes less quality) instructors, or instructors looking to fill a quota or a class for their IT, or any other number of scenarios. Or, it could be expensive to the tune of 10's of thousands of dollars. Some people are all or nothing, with 5+ sets of doubles. A dozen sets of regulators. 2 High End Computers, etc. The question is, what do YOU want to do.

Can you take AN/DP and never go any further and get out relatively cheap? Sure.
But on the other hand, could you keep going where every single class after AN/DP is going to cost 1k+? You betcha. The good news is, this race is a marathon, not a sprint. You can be like me and spread it out over 20 years, or you can be like some and do everything in 18 months. Which do you think makes the better diver?

It's up you.

Yeah, I think you're trying to show off how much $$ you can sling around. A titanium yoke reg (lol) isn't even a good choice for tech diving.

If you wanna waste money in an already expensive hobby, then go nuts. But its ridiculous to assert that you need a $1000 dollar oxygen analyzer when you get get one for 100 bucks, and equally ridiculous to claim that you 'need' an expensive dive computer, special flippers, overpriced tanks, a helium analyzer (I know 1 person who owns one, maybe 2), etc etc.

The OP is already concerned about the cost, so is the point of your post to try and scare him off with your list of "essentials"? Its baloney. Sorry.

Did you read my first paragraph?
Honestly? As expensive as you let it be. I JUST graduated college and currently have an entry-level job, so I'm by no means "affluent" or "wealthy." I did what was recommended to you by everyone else on here. I worked at a shop as a slave (DiveMaster Candidate) for WAY too many hours, and I got a big discount on gear. I also bought used, bought the minimum needed (not bare minimum, but not far from it), I bought high quality (or else I'd be buying twice), and I bought whenever I could.

I had a long PM conversation with someone before I transitioned from rec to cave about the cost of things, and it prepared me. I was more able to plan things ahead. I wasn't hit with the sudden realization that it required WAY more cash than I thought. In fact, getting a list together of potential costs helped me out. I looked at the list, and whenever I had money coming in I'd simply earmark the cash for something on the list. When friends went out and ran up big bar tabs, and I had a coke.....I'd remind myself that I was doing it for my mask. Having a list of what I needed, what I wanted, and the approximate cost helped line up gifts, trips, expenditures, and it helped limit my splurging. If it wasn't on my list, I didn't need it, so I didn't buy it.

As far as $100 O2 analyzers, I'm honestly curious where you can get it. I'm about to purchase my first O2 analyzer and have been looking for something cheaper than the Oxycheq one that was reliable. As for buying an He analyzer, I was told every trimix diver needs one. I don't dive that stuff, so I didn't know. Also, if you're calling a $250 dive computer expensive then you should think that through. Compared to a bottom-timer and depth gauge, maybe....but it's not CRAZY expensive. I also didn't say you NEEDED a $1000 O2 analyzer, I simply stated they can go for $200-$1000. What "special flippers" did I mention? I simply mentioned that a new pair of Tech fins costs ~$150. I bought mine for $120 and need spring straps still ($30). Hollis F1's go for more than that. Find me new tanks cheaper than what I listed, I again don't mean that angrily. I am looking to buy tanks sometime in the near(ish) future and would love to know where to go.

As for those regs, again....I was just showing a range. I don't own those, nor would I ever. My regs were purchased cheap through a shop, and they were purchased slowly!

Honestly? I think you need to chill out. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I'm not trying to scare him off, I was listing it off. It may have not been perfect, but how about correcting it with your own list instead of just blasting me. At least UCFDiver posted some numbers. My list was from personal experience (except for the He stuff), and was showing a range of cheap to overkill for new gear. If you disagree with it, PLEASE create your own list. I'm still on a tight budget. I still have to scrimp and save for the gear I purchase. I'm looking into getting deeper into Tech diving and the majority of the list is from stuff that I want and/or have recently purchased. If you post your list, I can modify mine and it'll truly be helpful. What you're doing is not. Fine, you want me to tell the OP it's not expensive?

OP: disregard ALL posts everywhere about the cost of tech diving and ONLY listen to AJ. It's cheap. So cheap, in fact, a guy PAID me to take his gear from him. Compressor, boat, 100+ tanks, 6 BPW setups, 100 regulators, 1000 reg parts kits, and a free DMC to maintain all of my gear for me. Boy, I sure wish I would've started tech diving sooner!

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 03:27 PM ----------

Oh that line is going to get some people wound up.
Lol, what I meant was: If you're buying and using a computer, used can be risky. You can't "guess" your depth accurately enough to get you out alive. I didn't mean to start a computer vs tables debate....PLEASE NO!

Personally, I'd have no issue whatsoever buying a used Shearwater computer.
Agreed....but how often do you see them for sale? And how much cheaper than new are they when they DO come up for sale? I saw a 3 year old Predator sell for like $750 recently while a brand new Petrel is $900. I'd spend the extra $150, personally.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom