How expensive is tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The final equipment is going to depend on the instructor you go with. Most are going to want you in doubles. Besides those you will need at least one deco bottle. Your computer probably has an option to make it a bottom timer that you can use for class. When i did my intro to tech this was the list i was given by my instructor:
doubles steel or aluminum
2 regs for doubles
AL40 deco bottle O2 clean
Reg for deco bottle
2 lift bags
2 reels or one reel and 1 spool with at least 100ft of line
scissors
wetnotes
pockets on drysuit or wetsuit
bottom timer or computer in gauge mode

Great info guys. This is indeed helpful. Right now I have:

2 Drysuits.
1 BP Wing with steel plate (single tank wing with 40 lbs lift.
Computer (wrist as well as console)
1 regulator set with octo.

In order to go down to 150 feet, do I need a double tank set up or can I do those dives with a stage bottle and an additional regulator? If that is all that is needed to get into the next tech level then I should be able to afford it.

Have you ever calculated gas volume needs? It is possible to use a single steel high-volume cylinder, but both you and your buddy will need to have VERY LEAN gas consumption.

Anyhow, do the maths. 150 feet or 45 metres is 5.5 bar / ata. Multiply your SAC by that and add a workfactor... let's say multiply that figure by 1.5 to 1.75. That's how many litres or cubic feet you need per minute.

DO YOU think you need more gas?

---------- Post added August 18th, 2013 at 12:47 PM ----------

Most are going to want you in doubles.

And others will suggest you dive sidemount.

Some good questions. As with most things in diving, and on SB, the direct, unambiguous answer to virtually all of your questions is, 'It depends.'
I was wondering how expensive would going into tech be? . . . But once you do get certified, can anyone give me and idea as to 1. what kind of gear investment are we looking at?
What equipment do you have now? By the time I completed tec training I owned several backplates and wings, a set of double 120s (that I had previously used as singles), an AL80 (previously owned), a 40 (bought for tec), a set of new backgas doubles regs, two deco regs (one previously owned, one bought for tec). I already had a drysuit when I started - without which I would not have been able to do the training, or some of my subsequent dives. Over the years since, I have added (a lot of) gear, much it it purchased used. Frankly, if you do your homework up front, are willing to buy used (regs, cylinders, computers), are able to be patient and wait until you find exactly what you want at a fair and reasonable price, and stay minimalist in acquiring gear (how many backplates / wings do you NEED, vs how many do you WANT), you can assemble the gear need for decompression diving for a modest amount of money, probably less than $2500. I think a more reasonable figure for planning would be 50% more than that. But, you can go inexpensive, get some decent gear, and be safe and functional. I was actually thinking of throwing out a number like $10,000, to account for the big picture cost of the training, and the equipment, and the travel, needed to get the the point of trimix certification. Garth beat me to it. That isn't an unreasonable number, by the way. But, you don't absolutely HAVE to spend that much.
I suspect others have bought more gear to get the the point of certification to do deco dives , and others have spent less. Is it necessary to own 8 different regulator sets etc? It is understandable to collect gear as you go up in training experience but if you get 6 different regulators serviced annually, that alone is a lot of money.
You don't have to make a huge investment in new equipment, you can acquire gear over time, you don't have to own 8 regulators (although generally you will own at least 4). As for service, personally - my opinion only - I think learning to service your own regs goes hand in hand with technical training. So, that is something that I would anticipate doing.
Are all tech guys extremely rich people? (Doctors, CEO, dentists etc)
Many people who pursue technical diving have the financial wherewithal to do so. But, I know many technically trained divers - including some graduate students - who are by no means wealthy, and they have managed to pursue their goals in a fiscally conservative manner.
2. How much does a typical tech charter cost?
That depends on a variables such where you are, where the boat is, what boat you are using, what distance the boat has to travel to get to the site, etc. You mention wanting to dive some of the NC coastal wrecks, and here is an example of cost. In June we did a two-day, one deco dive per day, charter out of Hatteras - $355. Later this month, we have a 3-day, one deco dive per day, charter, for $475. That's going out with JT Barker on the Under Pressure. I think JT's prices are probably in the upper half of the cost spectrum. I also think his charter fees are worth every penny, based on the boat's features, the competence of the captain and qulaioty of the mate, and the attitude of the captain (who won't leave the dock and charge you if he doesn't think there is a reasonable chance of getting to the site, or a comparable site), etc. In contrast, I have done some deco dives in the St. Lawrence, out of Brockville, where the charter fee was less than I pay for a two tank recreational charter out of Wilmington. Again, 'it depends'.

BUT, it is also useful to remember that the cost of the charter itself may be minor, if not trivial, compared to the cost of getting to the charter. I drive 5 hours to get to Hatteras from the Triangle. I stay overnight at ~$100 / might (split with my buddy). I have food expenses, etc.

Also, keep in mind that 'tec' doesn't just mean diving deeper wrecks. It may also mean diving longer on recreational depth wrecks, so you do one long dive, while others do two shorter dives. Obviously, whether you can do this depends on a lot of variables, and I am not suggesting this is the usual and customary. only that it is one possibility.
3. What about gas fills? I pay 13 dollars for nitrox fills so how much would helium and trimix etc cost?
Helium, as you probably know from reading posts on SB, continues to increase in cost, and that is unlikely to change. Earlier this year we (the shop) were paying $0.82/cf to the gas supplier. I don't know what it is this week. But, using that as a rough estimate, and assuming you don't even get charged a fee for the shop to blend, etc.: I dove the EM Clark in June, used double 130s, and filled them with a 16/45 blend. So, 45% of 260 cf, times $0.82/cf meant it cost me ~$100 for the backgas. The next day we dove to the Lancing at 170 ft, and I air topped the 130s (I will suck down every bit of that helium I paid for). More than a few people would say that ~$100 for a doubles trimix fill is cheap. But, I did my own blending, I don't pay an upcharge as a shop staff instructor, etc. Of course, I also had to pay for two 40 cf bottle of 100%, and two 80 cf bottles of 30%. Let's say that was another $40. That was for two dives. Was it worth it - you bet! Would / could I do that once a month? NO!
I want to do tech but if it means diving less than Id rather stay recreational and just dive more.
First of all, just because you are tec trained, tec certified, and tec 'capable', doesn't mean you will only dive 'tec'. Why would you think you would dive less? From my perspective, having the training and skills means you will quite possibly dive more, if anything, not less, and much of that diving will still be within recreational limits. So, there isn't any basis for saying if you don't do at least X number of dives per year (pick a number), it is not worth it. In fact, tec training and credentialing is well worth it if for no other reason than to improve your diving skills, and precision. In the calendar year I started tec training, I logged (only) 25 dives - I wasn't diving a lot, or even enough. The next calendar year, when I finished tec, I logged 42, and the number has grown each year since then. If anything, 'going tec' increased my diving, rather than decreasing it.

I don't have to fill up with trimix to do a decompression dive off the NC coast. But, because of the investment in the training and equipment, I have more options than I did ever before. One example, I have dove the Tarpon at 140+ ft as a decompression dive (with two deco gases), I have dove the Tarpon as a non-decompression dive, and I have dove the Tarpon as a 'short deco on backgas' dive. Having the proper skills and equipment allowed me to choose what I wanted to do, and plan each dive accordingly. The technical training, and the experience you gain through the subsequent diving, is valuable. It is hard to put a 'worth it' price on it, because that depends on the individual.

Last edited:
IMHO tech diving courses and equipment should match your diving objectives. For instance, when we went to Truk Lagoon I wanted to be able dive the SFO Maru via planned deco. Now could I have done the dive without it ? Sure everybody else did on that trip. The rest of the dives where we did accumulate some deco while unplanned we had the knowledge to deal with it. Next up on my list is going to Bikini Atoll so here again I could do the dives on air but I would prefer to remember a bit more and not deal with the narcosis so next step is a Trimix class.

I wouldn't go to 150 on a single tank. Probably not even with a stage bottle. But that's just me (and the agency I teach for :) )

So, Drysuit with BP/W, looks like all you need immediately would be a set of doubles and one more regulator. That's not terribly difficult. Next step if it were me would be an O2 bottle and another regulator.

True enough. All the more reason to get with your instructor before buying gear.

That idea cost me a boat load of $$$$$$, but in the long run it actually saved me a boat load of $$$$$$.

I approached my intended instructor and during the course of our conversation, he asked what my diving goals were. I quickly told him that i wanted to dive the Brittannicia on a rebreather. this is when He told me that if I was already thinking in terms of a rebreather that maybe I should talk to a rebreather instructor and just skip all the open circuit stuff to save on all the extra equipment and training.

I still appreciate that advice and am glad that I followed his advice. please note that I was already on a Dolphin SCR rebreather at the time.

Actually starting out you'd be more likely to need v planner (or other deco software/tables) on your lap top, a bottom timer, wet notes, and a back up computer that does gauge mode. You'll cut tables and plan square profiles and stick to them. There won't be any of this saw tooth or drop down another 15 - 20 feet to see something you spotted that looks interesting that you did not known was there. That'll be for another time with another plan with that specific goal. If you have a planned bottom time of 20 minutes at 20:01 you are on the upline moving towards your first stop at 30 ft per minute or whatever the schedule calls for. If you are still on the bottom at 21 minutes and nothing went wrong - you should stop tech diving. The discipline required is not there yet to do so safely.

Oh, good grief.

Your diving can have some flexibility in it. You can even see something 15ft below you without it being even a slight issue when diving tables. An extra minute (a single...solitary...minute...) over your plannd BT doesn't mean you should quit tech diving.

Any piece of tech gear can be purchased on eBay for $30... and if any of you ****heads tell my wife anything different I'm coming after you with a pole spear!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom