How does Proton Metal/Abyss and octopus differ ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakobon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am planning to order a Abyss 42 and a Proton Metal octopus at my LDS, but I have a few questions regarding the regs. and any future upgrade options:

1) Putting the yellow colouring aside, are there any mechanical/physical/performance/etc. differences between the Proton Metal/Abyss second stages and the corresponding Proton Metal/Abyss octopus ?

2) If at some point I come to like the Proton Metal over the Abyss, will there be any problems in switching them; thus making the Abyss the octopus and the Proton Metal the primary reg. ?

3) Visually it seems that the only difference between the Proton Metal primary second stage and the Proton Metal octopus is the round yellow plastic cover on the side. Does anyone knows if it is possible to order a replacement cover in the regular grey colour (if I was to convert it to a primary second stage) ?

4) The Abyss 42 comes with the MR42T first stage, so if I, at some point, would like to use the Carbon second stage instead, is it then possible to buy a separate Carbon primary second stage, thus "upgrading" the setup to a Carbon 42 ?

5) In addition;
I consider buying the Mares Nemo Air computer, but I am wondering if Mares is planning to release any software upgrades ? I have not been able to find any upgrades for the computer itself - only for the DRAK, and here the latest is the 1401 release ...

Regards

Jakob

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for the delayed response. I was hoping end users would respond to your questions. Business is very busy requiring much travel, resulting in limited time to engage with the forum. I've cut and pasted your questions with answers in red. See below. I hope this helps

Best regards,

Zak

1) Putting the yellow colouring aside, are there any mechanical/physical/performance/etc. differences between the Proton Metal/Abyss second stages and the corresponding Proton Metal/Abyss octopus ?
There is no difference in physical characteristics apart from color. The Octos from manufacturing are tuned with a higher cracking effort to prevent free flow. This is something that a trained technician can adjust should you decide to use as a primary in the future.
2) If at some point I come to like the Proton Metal over the Abyss, will there be any problems in switching them; thus making the Abyss the octopus and the Proton Metal the primary reg. ?
The only issue you will find is the the Abyss 22 regulator utilizes a 1/2" port for the low pressure hose. An adapter can be used to overcome this should you switch to a proton or vice versa.
3) Visually it seems that the only difference between the Proton Metal primary second stage and the Proton Metal octopus is the round yellow plastic cover on the side. Does anyone knows if it is possible to order a replacement cover in the regular grey colour (if I was to convert it to a primary second stage) ?
These parts are available and can be ordered by an authorized Mares dealer.
4) The Abyss 42 comes with the MR42T first stage, so if I, at some point, would like to use the Carbon second stage instead, is it then possible to buy a separate Carbon primary second stage, thus "upgrading" the setup to a Carbon 42 ?
At this point the carbon 2nd stage only is not available; production capacity is at max trying to keep up with sales. At some point the 2nd stage should be available to "upgrade" as you suggest. Please note this is not how we normally offer our regulators, therefore there could be a wait as this component will most likely need to be ordered.

5) In addition;
I consider buying the Mares Nemo Air computer, but I am wondering if Mares is planning to release any software upgrades ? I have not been able to find any upgrades for the computer itself - only for the DRAK, and here the latest is the 1401 release ...
I cannot speak for upgrades at this point. The computer department is generally quiet about any future developments. We have offered upgrades for other computers "Puck Family" so it is definitely a possibility. I just hesitate to suggest we will, when there is a possibility we do not have anything planned at this point.

Last edited:
Hi Zak

I appreciate that you take the time from you busy schedule to post these answers :)

And thank you very much for the knowledgeable answers ! :)

Many regards

Jakob

Back
Top Bottom