How do you tell you are getting older?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look, I'm not going to ******** you. You are all going to get old, and it is going to happen lightning fast. You won't see it coming. You'll just be living your life the way you always have, diving, thinking, "Man, I sure am young. There is little in life that I enjoy more than the simple knowledge of how completely not old I am." And then one day, out of the blue, you'll have a horrifying realization that people have stopped viewing you as an ultra cool, iconic masterpiece of sexuality ... now you're just some kid's parent. An annoying dive instructor. The ******* supervisor. There will be no warning. Enjoy it while you can.
Yes. But strangely, at 60+, sometimes you think you're still 25 and other times 85.

Yes. But strangely, at 60+, sometimes you think you're still 25 and other times 85.

True, our brain can think we are 25, but unfortunately, the rest of our body knows the truth.

OP, good topic for us old folks,

I knew I was old when I realized that I would have to perform a fitness regimen before every great adventure. I now step up my fitness routine one month before hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, and of course scuba diving.

The problem is that my knees and one hip are POS. I can't exercise too much or my hip hurts bad. I can't exercise aggressively or my knees lock-up and get gravely. I have to plan out my exercise regimen in order to be relatively pain free and in shape.

I used to go from living at sea level to hunting a 10,000 foot pass without any fitness program. The first day I would give myself an extra 30 minutes for the hike in.

Those days are long gone.

I know I am old because my wife goes to the gym 4 days per week to try and maintain a decent fitness level.

We will do whatever it takes until the wheels fall off.

markm

Last edited:
As I was laying in bed earlier with badly bruised ribs (from falling thru a deerstand ladder when a rung broke) and sciatic pain going from my left hip down my leg, I re-read the post from a 31 year old Swedish female physiotherapist looking for a dive buddy for a LOB trip to exotic places and I thought "if ONLY I were a few years younger ...."
☺☺
Cheers - MM :cheers:

Last edited:
Right. I "retired" from Sr. Mens' Basketball age 33. Was invited to join the old team at age 38 when I moved back and played in a practice scrimmage. Yeah right. That was probably the most defining moment of realizing one's age.

... I "retired" from basketball at age 48 and took up scuba diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've a friend who still skis, still scuba dives (although only warm water and with a little help from his friends), and just a few years ago gave up windsurfing the Gorge with his grandkids. He's 88 years old.

There's a name for people like him ... role model ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom