How do you pick an octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhawke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am shopping for a new octo (safety second) and am leaning towards the Dacor Viper Tech from ScubaToys for $75.

My questions are:

1. How do you pick an octo?
2. Why are they so much cheaper than a 'normal' regulator?
3. If they are just as good why not buy an octo and use it as your main regulator?
4. Does anybody currently use two 'real' regulators - one as your octo and one as your second stage?

Thanks,
Jason

Pick out a real junk one and on the boat let your buddy breath through it to remind him why he better not run out of air. (just kidding) I use an R190 for an octo. I don't give my primary but I want to give a good one if needed.

Since I use a long hose (5') and will donate my primary, I use the same reg for my backup as I do for my primary. Apex atx50 for both. I know how each breathes, know that the other will work (bungee necklace so no dragging in muck), etc. More expensive option but more reliable.

I know there are alternative choices but I went with what the manufacturer recommended. I use the Poseidon Jetstream and the octo is the same at the primary only yellow

Think about it.

If the **** ever truly hits the fan, do you want the situation compounded by either you or your buddy breathing on the cheapest POS you can find?

When you pick a primary reg, buy two of the same (second stages, if not complete regs). You won't regret it.

YMMV.

mstudley:
Since I use a long hose (5') and will donate my primary, I use the same reg for my backup as I do for my primary. Apex atx50 for both. I know how each breathes, know that the other will work (bungee necklace so no dragging in muck), etc. More expensive option but more reliable.
Ditto.

*Get the same brand to simplify service. At least one with a common servicing dealer.

*The safe second is often a yellow version of a low/mid range second stage and it's is only the second stage. Most Primary prices you see are for combined first and second stage packages.

*You can use any second stage but it should be de-tuned a bit so as not to readilly free-flow.

*Some do dive two higher end second stages. My safe second is a "real" regulator but it is of a lesser design than my primary.

*If you're diving in a DIR mode then you are further motivated to have a high end alternate source it will be your air source in a sharing situation. If you have a combined inflator/alternate the opposite is true. As your diving becomes more demanding it becomes more valuable to have equipment that can deliver a lot of air freely to two dives down deep in a stressful situation. The same is true for cold tolerance if applicable to your diving.

Pete

Timely question as I just bought an Octo yesterday. Though I intend to rig DIR, one thing that came out of understanding more about that rigging is that you don't necessarily want a very high performance reg as a safe second. Not to say you want a POS, but high performance regs can lead to free flow. Also, many safe seconds lack the adjustability of modern high performance gear.

I looked at a number of options but in the end, picked up a Dive Rite octo. I'll probably replace the yellow faceplate with a black one some someone doesn't come up and try to snatch it off my neck! :)

So by all means, get a nice regulator for your safe second, just be mindful not to get one that might tend to free-flow, especially if you don't keep it in an area that limits water flow across it. The SP R190 seems awfully popular, and I have seen some R390s as well.

Can't believe how long I've owned a reg set without having an octo. :dork:

PerroneFord:
I looked at a number of options but in the end, picked up a Dive Rite octo. I'll probably replace the yellow faceplate with a black one some someone doesn't come up and try to snatch it off my neck! :)
Put the bright yellow cover on your primary and the black cover on the bungeed backup. Problem solved. :)

I have the Dacor viper, and I kind of wish I hadn't bought it. For a slightly higher price, you can get a R190 or something similar. The Dacor breathes okay, and in an OOA situation, believe me, noone's going to be that picky. But, the first Dacor dealer I brought it to didn't have any parts for it, and I assume the next time I need it serviced I'll probably say goodbye to it and find a used R190. It's a pretty small diaphragm (the viper), kind of an odd shape, and probably does not respond well to irregular servicing. If you're buying from Scubatoys, you might ask them for a few rebuild kits to hang onto to make sure you can get it serviced easily in the future.

Another option would be to find an old metal second stage (for next to nothing) and pay someone who knows them well to rebuild it. I did that with a SP balanced adjustable, and it sort of outperforms my G250. If I can get a seacure for it, I'll probably use it as my primary. Plus, the metal case will take ALOT of abuse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom