How do you pee in YOUR drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a class at Vortex this weekend, and it was pretty cool weather. It sure was nice to be able to just stay in the drysuit all day, nice and warm, and pee without having to go to the undress/redress routine.
Rick

I did my first dry suit dives yesterday, and used a p-valve for the first time, as well.

The day held a number of firsts, actually... This was the first time during the twenty years I've known my wife, where I refused her assistance with a condom.

Quite painfully, I learned that if the receiver tip is too small, adhesive sticks where it doesn't belong, resulting in pain no man should ever have to endure. Finally settling on the correct size and model from the Rochester sample bag, I ventured to the dive site.

The first dive was uneventful. After a bit of instruction, I donned the suit, connecting the catheter, and entered the water. For the next 54 minutes, I had no urge to go. A large coffee during the SI cured that, and I walked down to the water's edge, ready to try my new gizmo.

I strode into the waters of the Puget Sound, ankle deep, on the public beach access to the Edmonds Underwater Park next to the ferry landing, thinking, this is truly going to be an act of faith... I'm about to pee in a perfectly dry suit... can I do this?

I placed my arms on my hips, arching back slightly, taking in the natural charms of the site. The ferry was offloading it's burden of vehicles, foot passengers were already making their way to the beach. The brisk salt air was spiced with tantalizing aromas wafting over from the Tandoori grill of a nearby restaraunt... I relaxed, and let my bladder drain.

Shocked out of my trance, I realized that the pee was entering the water rather loudly. A solid stream arced from the bolt in my thigh into the Sound, a bold, neon testament to the fact that I had indeed taken my B-vitamins that morning. I turned away from the ferry landing, only to see a family moving toward me from the beach...
Dear God, what was I thinking? I waded deeper, submerging the bubbling bolt, feeling as though every eye in Edmonds was upon me.

Gearing up as quickly as humanly possible, my buddy and I made our second dive.

Before the cops arrived. :D

Steve

I have the p valve with the bolt with the hole through it so the stream forms a T when I'm on land I have to put the hole up and down, if I have it side to side I pee all over my other leg.

Probably more info than needed but I didn't like that the first time it happened

oh and even if you don't use your valve make sure the bolt is open if you have a balanced pee valve or upon ascent... well it doesn't feel too good.

#3 for me. I have plenty of two hour+ dives. I never hydrate before diving. In fact, if I've had anything to drink within a few hours of a dive, I pee before suiting up. If I ever had a desire to make a ten hour cave dive, I'd use a P-valve, but I don't see the attraction of caving. My friend Ross always jokes about me. When I dive from his boat we will make 2-3 dives several miles offshore, have lunch and get back to the marina, wash down the boat, go home, wash gear, then use the restroom.

Here is a friendly piece of advice for people new to catheters.

Do not leave unused catheters in a warm environment. The adhesive will start to run and end up in the tip. A friend of mine had this happen and he experienced a lot of pain. I thought he was just being a nancy boy and didn't know how to properly put one on. Then one day I had to use one from his batch since I was all out. Talk about a PITA (or tip in this case) getting it off. We dumped the remaining catheters as they were ruined by the excessive heat.

The adhesive should never be in the tip.

Steve Egner:
Quite painfully, I learned that if the receiver tip is too small, adhesive sticks where it doesn't belong, resulting in pain no man should ever have to endure.

I have found too if I roll them backwards before placement I"m less likely to get adhesive on the end, its a lot easier than trying to stuff it in where there is no glue.

Brand0n:
Im going to Commercial Diving school right now i do over 2-3 hour bottem times .... i can hold it im sure you can

They teach you that this is allright? Re-read doc Intrepid's answer, it says everything to be said on the subject, and there is no arguement to be made. It is, what it is. And why in the world would I want to have to "hold it", when I can just do what comes naturally, and make myself a lot more comfortabe? Not to mention a lot less agitated and distracted. It's the best hundred bucks you can spend.

Correct, rolling is the proper way. Stuffing it is bad and is a good way to keep the one eyed monster open. That can lead to very bad things.

FIXXERVI6:
I have found too if I roll them backwards before placement I"m less likely to get adhesive on the end, its a lot easier than trying to stuff it in where there is no glue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom