How do you lubricate zippers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debitthis

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie question...
What is the best way to lubricate wetsuit zippers? I'm pretty sure my dive instructor said silicone works well, but the little 1/4 oz. jar I got for o-rings won't go very far.
At the hardware store I found some Silicone spray (aerosol), but the can says it contains tolulene and petroleum distillates. I'm afraid this will do bad things to neoprene.

Any suggestions?

debitthis:
Newbie question...
What is the best way to lubricate wetsuit zippers? I'm pretty sure my dive instructor said silicone works well, but the little 1/4 oz. jar I got for o-rings won't go very far.
At the hardware store I found some Silicone spray (aerosol), but the can says it contains tolulene and petroleum distillates. I'm afraid this will do bad things to neoprene.

Any suggestions?

Zip Wax, my friend. Here's a thread about drysuit zipper care - but I use Zip Wax on my dive bag zips, reg bag zips... pretty much on everything.

Only because I have about a zillion sticks.

Good thing you held off, toluene would have eaten your wetsuit.
Your wetsuit zipper can go without lubing for a long time, some folks never bother lubing the things at all. A couple times a season should be plenty.
Never, ever use anything in a spray aerosol can on dive gear, there is too wide a range of nasty chemicals that can be in the stuff.
The type of silicone you want comes in a pump spray, it looks milky.
Your dive shop is "supposed" to carry it.
Using silicone grease (the stuff for o-rings) will collect sand & work better than sandpaper to trash out your zipper.
Drysuit zippers are a whole different matter, they're a different critter requiring different care & feeding.

Bob3:
...Good thing you held off, toluene would have eaten your wetsuit...

Whheww! That was close. Thank you for saving me form the jaws of "Hey I bet that'll work."

Anyone need a full can of gear lubricant?

debitthis:
Anyone need a full can of gear lubricant?
Save it for your car's door hinges, it makes it easier to sneak up on people.

trivia:
Toluene is the "active ingredient" in wetsuit cement. Out here in CA you have to be at least 18 years old to buy anything containing toluene.
Imagine, a 16-17 year old getting thrown in jail for having a can of "contraband" wetsuit cement !!

parafin wax on wetsuit zippers.

A wax candle works well also.

Back
Top Bottom