How do YOU keep fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoga, Pilates and swimming

In deciding on a program to keep fit for scuba, it is helpful to keep in mind that endurance is both movement and velocity specific. Running doesn’t make you a good swimmer (or diver) and running at marathon pace doesn’t prepare you to race a 400M. It is also useful to differentiate between training and exercise. General circuit training, like Crossfit, is fine for general conditioning but it is not the same as training to get good at a specific activity.

Swimming, biking, circuit training, etc. are all good exercise, but if your goal is to improve scuba fitness, then kicking with scuba fins at both a cruising speed for distance and hard for short sprints is something you should make part of any exercise program.

In deciding on a program to keep fit for scuba, it is helpful to keep in mind that endurance is both movement and velocity specific. Running doesn’t make you a good swimmer (or diver) and running at marathon pace doesn’t prepare you to race a 400M. It is also useful to differentiate between training and exercise. General circuit training, like Crossfit, is fine for general conditioning but it is not the same as training to get good at a specific activity.

Swimming, biking, circuit training, etc. are all good exercise, but if your goal is to improve scuba fitness, then kicking with scuba fins at both a cruising speed for distance and hard for short sprints is something you should make part of any exercise program.

I agree that sport specific exercise is best, but if someone has a decent form in kicking and they are "a good runner" they are going to have all the fitness they will ever need for recreational diving.

but if your goal is to improve scuba fitness, then kicking with scuba fins at both a cruising speed for distance and hard for short sprints is something you should make part of any exercise program.

In all the "swim test" discussions I've been a part of, this is the first time someone actually spelled this out.
Yes, general fitness is very important, but scuba is all about LEGS. Developing the leg muscles used for scuba should make everything a breeze.

Im a spinning instructor and I routinely kick the snot out of my students (don't worry, they're military and they love it!), but I suck down air like its going out of style. I swim as well, and lift weights, but in truth I agree with the quote above. If its general fitness you're after, just get your butt off the couch and do ANYTHING! If its scuba specific, then figure out scuba specific things to do. Its not that hard to make-up something that works - you probably already do them. You don't need a trainer IMHO - just do your stuff with a training attitude vice a pleasure attitude...

Im a spinning instructor and I routinely kick the snot out of my students (don't worry, they're military and they love it!), but I suck down air like its going out of style. I swim as well, and lift weights, but in truth I agree with the quote above. If its general fitness you're after, just get your butt off the couch and do ANYTHING! If its scuba specific, then figure out scuba specific things to do. Its not that hard to make-up something that works - you probably already do them. You don't need a trainer IMHO - just do your stuff with a training attitude vice a pleasure attitude...

Err, what's does a spinning instructor do exactly?

200px-Elderlyspinnera.jpg or spinning-top.gif or 11018014359.jpg or how about :rain: ...... :confused:

:rofl3:

Err, what's does a spinning instructor do exactly? ...... :confused:

:rofl3:

Spend some serious time outside on the bike, or in a spin class, and you'll never have an issue with finning power or speed.

Attachments

• Spinning.jpg
    Spinning.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 125
Spend some serious time outside on the bike, or in a spin class, and you'll never have an issue with finning power or speed.

Oh, excercise bikes. I see.

So how does this differ (if at all) from the one I have at home? Something special?

Oh, excercise bikes. I see.

So how does this differ (if at all) from the one I have at home? Something special?

Haha! I get that reaction a lot. :)

No not really special, just different. Group exercise, which is what this is, by definition tends to make you do more and harder than you do on your own. Its not that you have to, you dont - you can just sit there and turn the wheel, but as average people, when we get together, it just seems to happen. Call it the competitive tendency in all of us. This affect, along with music that is played, is intended to get you energized to get a great aerobic and anaerobic work out. You'll soak your tee-shirt guaranteed - that's the only measure of success that I tell people who try for the first time. Anything else is gravy. In truth, I have several folks that have lost a lot of weight over 6-9 months doing this, other stuff and watching what they eat. Its great to see the change in them.

Go watch a class sometime and you'll understand. Its a whole lot more fun than sitting on your exercise bike watching Oprah Winfrey reruns at home....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom