How do YOU keep fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a welder/ironworker by trade, I lift enough heavy steel all day at work to make me stay away from working out.

I guess the only exercise that I get is from diving, unless doing pushups on top of my girlfriend counts?

I work out once a week with a group that does amped up crossfit workouts (they shoot to include 700-800 reps of various exercises combined with running), then supplement this with another workout per week, biking everywhere and my regular diving activities.

No more physical exercise for me!!! One of my knee wouldn't be able to handle any more.
I do watch my food intake though. However I do allow a bit of indulgence on diving trip because I need the extra cal. Alcohol(beer) is permitted on social meeting which happen occasionally otherwise only water at home and work. Never use sugar in cooking(30+ yrs) and the desert is limited to fresh fruit.
BTW, I am NOT on any medication. Touch wood.

My fitness routine varies by week due to my work schedule (on tour with a rock band makes it a little hard to do). But generally what it is, is a burnout workout on chest, arms, shoulders/legs 3 to 5 times a week. Which consists of supersetting most workouts and doing a full workout in 45 minutes for lifting, with a 5 minute warmup on the bike. Then 20 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on the elliptical. 30 seconds balls out fast, 30 seconds half speed (9mph to 4.5mph). Then proper diet of 2000 or less calories a day, with no fast food or soda. Protein shake before and after workout out, one for breakfast, and one right before bed (keeps the body in a anabolic state). Along with proper supplements. I've gone from 260 in April to a lean 220 in August. Lost a lot of fat, and gained a lot of muscle. Dropped 2 pants sizes, but still at the same shirt size (by product of broad shoulders and large arms).

Thousands of 12 oz curls. No really I lift 30-45 min 5 days a week and 30 min cardio "run, bike, swim" 6 days a week.

I take the stairs, push & stack the shopping cart all the way back to the front of the store, bike to my destination (especially if I can fit all my errands in a backpack); you know, little daily tasks. I kinda like walking and taking steps at a swift pace, so I'm sure that helps.
On top of all this I stretch every night and do small 30min-1hr workouts every other day.

It's a lot easier to be fit if you keep active outside the gym as well.

30 miles 3 to 5 days per week on my bike....slow days av speed around 20 to 21...fast days around 24 to 26. Concentrate on max range of motion desirable in finning on scuba or freediving.
Dive at least 2 days per week, use same muscle groups as in cycling.

30 miles 3 to 5 days per week on my bike....slow days av speed around 20 to 21...fast days around 24 to 26. Concentrate on max range of motion desirable in finning on scuba or freediving.
Dive at least 2 days per week, use same muscle groups as in cycling.

I'm not that fast yet, but I am working on it.

The GUE swim requirements aren't particularly herculean. The pace of the rec requirement is 1.2 kph / .73 mph. I believe it's meant to be attainable to people who don't swim regularly as a form of exercise.

In 14 minutes, it's 275m for rec classes, 375m for level 1 tech/cave, 450m for level 2, and 550 for level 3.

I'd totally agree with that - I don't normally time myself but after reading your post just out of interest at the pool last Sunday I checked my times on a nice gentle freestyle swim;

500m - 13m 22s = 2.24 km/hr average (or 523m per 14 minutes)
800m - 21m 35s = 2.22 km/hr average (or 518m per 14 minutes)
(800m was continuation of the 500m)

I am surprised that I would easily pass their level 2. I am 50 yrs old, only average fitness and only 18 months ago I could not manage 25 meters, I really don't swim that well. At that speed on Sunday I was not at all out of breath after finishing the 800m in 21 minutes. (Put my fins on straight away and did another 500m kicking only).

In fact, the only GUE level my times would not be good enough for would be intructor (level 3),but I wasn't really trying too hard. I am sure I could easily achieve that if I tried....Wow I'm Good!! :D.

But seriously, not trying to brag here, just pointing out that if someone like me can achieve the GUE level 2 time (nearly level 3), then just about any able bodied person in their 40's or younger shouldn't really have any problem whatsoever.

I jog, lift free weights, bike, swim, walk, eat healthy - mix it up & keep it fun :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom