How do YOU keep fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozadora

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For a while now I've been realizing that my fitness levels have dropped significantly. When I had to take the 200m fitness test for the PADI Open Water course, the fact that I got out of breath shocked me. PADI further recommends that you build your fitness levels for longer and more enjoyable dives.

So how do you guys keep your fitness level up? Or do you find yourself out of breath underwater?

I have decided to take up jogging, which is all a bit novel for me but I found a great technique for starting out using the Couch 2 5k approach, I've shared the links in my blog about my adventures with jogging Learning to dive and the fish thereafter... ...not quite as fun as scuba, but good for the body and mind!

500 yds/500m easy warm-up Free-style (under 14 minutes --GUE Swimming Requirement)

50 yd resting Breast Stroke
200 yds Scissors side kick (alternate sides every 50 yd);
200 yds kickboard work Flutter & Frog (alternate every 50 yd);
200 yd kickboard work Dolphin & Frog (alternate every 50 yd);
200 yds kickboard work Backstroke Flutter & Frog -Supine (alt 50 yd);
200 yd Free-Style Sprint
100 yd Free-Style Sprint;
50 yd Free-Style Sprint;
50 yd Free-Syle Sprint;
50 yd cool-down Breast Stroke

Warm down stretches legs, back, shoulders & arms;
50 yd underwater swim (notify Lifeguard);
Tread Water & "Dead-man Float" back stretches.

Resting or Fun Days:
Run a mile;
Either 1500 yds easy free-style
or 200 yd medley (Butterfly, Back, Breast & Free-Style).

Circuit train in weightroom twice a week for endurance (no more doing five days a week power pyramid sets/max lift sets for me --I'm getting too old for that!)

My emphasis is endurance on the variety of kick styles (Frog, Flutter, Dolphin, & Scissors and surface flutter kick on back) that I would use during a recreational or technical dive. . .

See also:
Total Immersion Swimming Freestyle Demo by Shinji Takeuchi - YouTube
1500m Olympic Champion Sun Yang Freestyle Technique

Last edited:
p90x and a decent diet. when i get serious i add protein shakes twice a day, double scoop after workout, and gnc vitapak and additional supplements.

Daily routine is:
20 minutes on stationary bike watching TV
some light calesthentics (sp?)
some arm stretches using the "rubber" bands (5 mins.)
shoveling rocks off our beach (15 minutes)--ocean returns the rocks.

In training for DM tests I did a lot of running- up & down hills. Found it got me in pretty good shape, though not really a whole lot of help for the swim test.

Swimming laps once a week for several months got me back in swimming shape (after refining my form after 40 years of not swimming much).

Walking/hiking, swimming, paddling... doing. I have a visceral aversion to gyms and "exercise-in-place" regimens.
><>

Elliptical every morning, 20 to 30 minutes = no to low impact on body/joints, great cardio while watching the news. Swim a couple of days a week for about the same time = no impact on joints/body. Plus, I have lot's of stairs in my house.

I swim 3-4 times a week, generally a mile each time, sometimes more or less depending on how much time I have.

That and weight training.

I bike anywhere from 25 to 50 miles a day or I run six to ten miles a day. That usually takes care of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom