How do you get purchases by your spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't try to "get my purchases by my spouse", that would be less than honest in our relationship and effect the bonds of trust between us.

Omicron:
jealousy at a cool new toy the other got
Toy envy - i am sure it can break a relationship that isnt so strong! :wink:

Easy, I do all the bills and when I order stuff online I get it shipped to where I work :) I never hide anything though, if she asks if I just bought 'that' I'll tell her yes. If I buy anything -really- expensive (over $1k, like my drysuit) we discuss it first.

I also think she, to some degree, ignores the new things that mysteriously appear when I bring all my stuff inside after a dive.

I also eBay stuff to help cut down on the "out of pocket" expense. It's amazing when you go through a closet how much stuff you can find that you don't want anymore but someone else does.

Whenever something new "shows up" in my house, I tell me wife, "I'm storing it for Bob, you know how Nancy is." Works every time.

I have a great wife! She didn't even berate me when I lost our life savings on a bum investment. On the top of my "Hall of Shame" stupid decisions. Normally it takes a crowbar to open my wallet, unless I have found something that really interests me. ie, Scuba. She only has a problem with what I want to buy when she asks for something frivolous, like clothes for the kids, organizers for the closet, and so on, you get the point, and I give her a line about not having the money :wink:

So, I have learned to get her the things she asks for, (small in comparison) and I can get the things (read toys) I need.

Works great for us.
Jeff

My wife Linda is even more frivolous a spender than I am, and I didn't think that was possible! She just makes sure that I'm not putting it all on credit, that's our only real concern.

We were in Denver recently and while eating at Carl's Jr. (we don't have those here, I miss Carl's!) I spotted a dive shop. I was wondering aloud where on the Earth did people dive in Denver, so we cruised over to check the shop out and ask them where they dove.

Well, while we were in there my wife ended up spending almost $200! A guy's gotta love that. :)

Jimmie

Forgive the ignorance of not having read the entire thread.

But a lot of this looks like "Men helping men", many stories with mixed success.

My guy is practically prohibited from entering any gadget store unsupervised, as he is a salesman's dream. "Really? It has lazer beams...you're right, that would be handy." and we have separate accounts, but are saving for a trip.

A chick tip?

Show her you" thought of the relationship first" (translation, buy her something just as frivolous, jewellery works like a dandy)

And she won't even think about the tank.

opiniongirl:
A chick tip?

Show her you" thought of the relationship first" (translation, buy her something just as frivolous, jewellery works like a dandy)

And she won't even think about the tank.

Frivolous?...FRIVOLOUS? I am shocked, A new tank frivolous. Oh, what are we coming to here ? :wink: :dazzler1:

My husband came home with a new Jeep last weekend. A tank by comparison would not have been enough to make me bat an eyelash.
So buy something really expensive, like real estate, first, and then get the new dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom