How do you configure your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred T. steel BP
Oxycheq wing
Harness w/ 4 D rings (2 chest 2 hip)
QR on right strap under hose above D ring
X-pockets for weight
Nitrox Steel 95
Prosub reg, standard hose prime w/ octo bungeed
Mares M1 computer on right wrist, compass on left, SPG clipped to left hip
Super C Ike-lite clipped to right hip
BK-UP light clipped & tubed to right D ring/harness strap
2ND BK-UP light under hose tubed to right chest strap
shell dry suit w/ ringed dry gloves
Turtle fins
Tilos mask
Cheap grounded-round-tip knife on waist strap.

I really like my setup now. It is really rec but for the diving I do it is perfect.

I have a Black Diamond with standard reg setup. My gauges clip to the ring right at the crotch. This is perfect because the hose tucks under the left weight pocket. It really keeps it in place and close to the body. My octo is clipped to the front right clip that is supposed to be for the crotch strap and the hose is secured to the right rear D-ring.

On the front of the BC, there is a pocket with my folding knife and Q40 light. The grommets on the front hold a DIY strap for my shears.

Behind the left weight pocket is my DSMB clipped off to the front main strap. Behind the right weight pocket is a small slate. In my right pocket I have a net bag for garbage I find. If I bring a camera, this goes in the left expandable pocket and clipped to a left chest D-ring. If I bring a light it is clipped to a right chest D-ring.

Very simple setup but everything I need has its place. I really like the idea of squeezing flat items behind the weight pockets. I can do this easily because I only have 2 lbs per pocket.

String:
Yes im left handed. (now im curious !)

Your configuration seemed to point toward being left handed. (Octo under left arm & computer on right wrist) My buddy that I dive with most of the time is also left handed.

RDP:
My question is how do others configure their gear? I know where everything is, but it still seems like a cluster whenever I try to get into my pockets.

Also, I will be changing over to a BP/W setup soon, so I am interested in the way everyone does their setup.

Just curious ... do you dive a drysuit? If so, does it have pockets?

Even before switching to a BP/harness system, I discovered that putting a bungee loop in my drysuit pocket (I only had one at the time) and clipping off my "extra" stuff there was preferable to using D-rings or BCD pockets (that you can never seem to get into while wearing your rig).

I currently use a standard hog rig most of the time, but I also own a TransPlate system and a traditional TransPacII BCD. Regardless of what I'm wearing, the only things that get clipped off on my BCD are my backup light, the light head for my primary light, and my primary second stage (when I'm not breathing from it). Everything else goes in my drysuit pockets.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive the Pro QD+, I have my light on the right shoulder D-ring, whistle on the left shoulder, octo on the right hip ring, glow sticks and signal mirror in the left pocket, computer with bolt snap on the right above-pocket ring, slate in right pocket. Mask on face, reg in mouth, tank on back, fins on feet, etc, etc.

Koplin ss backplate, halcyon wing, Scubapro regs/longhose/bungeed necklace, backup lights on both chest d-rings, wenotes/prepacked spool smb/spare spool/backup mask in pockets, filed off serrated knife in sheath on belt, XL jetfins, steel 130's, sometimes 40cf stage, oceanic mask, bottom timer.

Pretty DIR as well, or at least I try. Nicely balanced rig, I love diving it.

:)

wow!!!!! this is the most infomative thread i have ever seen! and it just shows me how little i have and how many different options there are to dive with. im quite new to the game so here i go..

im only a rec diver , my bc is a dacor rav on the inflator hose is my small back up knife, leg is the large knife, i wear it outside, some people wear theirs on the inside,,,why?
reg to the left octo under right to the upper d-ring, and spgw/compass under left arm the upper ring near my chest, easier to find and read.

for a beginner, is this a good start?

I guess it's a good start. People wear their leg knives on the inside because there's less chance of entanglement with them tucked away inside. And you can get at it just as easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom