How to minimize danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never thought of using a bungee (4mm?) on the dsmb to capture the spool. Okay, I may try that. But, I have been mounting a XS weight pocket on my right shoulder strap down low against the plate and the spool goes in there and the dsmb just hangs out. I have never had the spool escape from the pocket.

James

Great thread and it has prompted a perhaps silly question. How does make a bungee loop out of a length of bungee cord? I've search here and on YT and got nuthin'. Is it as simple as tying a knot? Is so, what kind of knot?

Great thread and it has prompted a perhaps silly question. How does make a bungee loop out of a length of bungee cord? I've search here and on YT and got nuthin'. Is it as simple as tying a knot? Is so, what kind of knot?
It depends on the application. If you want the loop to be adjustable in size, a pair of fisherman knots does the trick really well. See this video that shows how to do this to make a wrist mount for your dive computer:

If you don't need it to be adjustable, a simple reef knot (aka a square not) works. That's what I have on my shoulder strap to retain the corrugated hose of my wing inflator, for example. Another bungee loop like that keeps my EMT shears from jumping out of their sheath.

Like many divers on here, I use a bungee necklace for my backup regulator (instead of diving with an octopus). For that, I just tied a simple overhand knot on each end of a length of bungee, and then used a ziptie to attach it to the reg, next to the mouthpiece ziptie. This allows me to adjust the length by pulling the bungee through the ziptie, because sometimes I use a thin hood, other times a thick hood, and other times no hood at all. You can also use the same ziptie for both the bungees and the mouthpiece, but I dunno, that seems like a good way to lose a mouthpiece to me.

Hope this helps.

If you don't need it to be adjustable, a simple reef knot (aka a square not) works.
I have had the reef knot come untied in bungee before. I'll either tie an overhand with the two loose ends pointed the same direction (leaves a little tail) or a fisherman's bend (if I want it to lay flatter).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom