How do you classify yourself as a diver?

What type of diver are you? Please give an explanation of why you chose your option

• Novice diver

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Intermediate diver

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Expert diver

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Expert diver with a computer

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Without getting into a rec versus tek discussion or a PADI versus NAUI versus TDI versus whomever argument, how do you classify yourself as a diver?

The reason for asking is simple: I've signed on to go diving in the ABC Islands, and the dive operator wants to know if each diver signed up for the week is:
[1] Novice
[2] Intermediate
[3] Expert
{4] Expert with a computer

Now, I've only been diving since June but have logged about two and a half dozen dives, several in the ocean, most in various cool to cold-water quarries and lakes. I've completed some additional formal classes and am feeling more and more comfortable. I've done some deeper dives (below 60 feet), some night dives, and (let's face it...in a quarry) limited viz dives. Does that make me an intermediate diver? an expert diver? I certainly don't feel like an "expert" yet.

What about the computer? I've been using an Atmos2 computer on a little more than half of my dives, including some EANx dives? There is no selection for "novice with computer" or "intermediate with computer."

At what point does one become an "expert" diver? What are your realistic criteria? Can you give a brief explanation of your thinking?

Thanks!

Everytime I learn a good deal about any given aspect I just figure out how much more I have to learn.

Chad

Well "A good diver is always learning" so I don't feel that I am anywhere near being an expert.

From the question, and more importantly from the last choice, I'm guessing that the reason the dive operator wants to know your ability in planning a dive (esp. repetitive diving).

Given that reasoning, I would say that the "intermediate" divers are trusted the least: experienced divers, especially with a computer obviously don't need as much attention as the rest. Novices are just off their course, and their newly found knowledge on reading dive tables is fresh in their minds.

Intermediate divers must be occassional divers, who very rarely, if ever, dive even remotely close their NDL. Therefore they go no idea what a table looks like anymore, let alone how to use it!

-= Mark
-= mark@froop.net

P.S. Please push tongue firmly to inside of cheek whilst reading above post.

P.P.S. I voted intermediate, because even though I did my openwater over a decade ago, I'm only diving again now after a prolonged (5yr) SI. Although a little rusty to begin with, it all comes back pretty quickly.

I've been certified for almost 5 years
(probably certifiable for alot longer) -
anyway.... I'm AOW and Nitrox cert. with 75 dives... so I'd consider myself an intermediate.

I still have alot to learn and alot to experience. I'm very comfortable with what I'm doing now so I'm reading and looking to expand my "horizons" some and to further my knowledge and abilities.

To me an expert is that person who has done it all and experienced it all over a lifetime of 10,000 dives or so - with or without a computer.

Todd

I voted novice, although intermediate might be closer. After 52 OW dives, plus another bunch in pools (not including my training dives), I have decent buoyancy control, I can navigate reasonably well and I can still do tables, although I dive with a computer.
But watching the divers around me, I would rate the DM's I know (most with 200+ dives above me making THEM intermediate and the instructors, many with 1000+ dives logged as Experts.

kind of a loaded question. i say intermediate with computer, but fully active. so i always consider myself learning and always will, but i am confortable in many diving enviroments. and Diving up here in the Puget Sound area, we get it all....:mean:

230 dives, PADI AI, almost completed IANTD Technical Diver and over half of those in the UK and personally I would consider myself as intermediate. But to resort questions would have to go for Expert with computer!

Never been asked to grade like that! Normally cert level and before I was DM level they would ask how many dives and when was the last one?

For you I would say intermediate and tell them you own a computer....

Jonathan

It's a rediculous question.

I have lots of credentials but without a doubt I am all those things. I am an expert under some conditions and compared to some novice and a novice in a different environment compared to someone else.

IMO, his distinction between an expert and an expert with a computer is goofy enough to make me go diving with someone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom