How do you classify yourself as a diver?

What type of diver are you? Please give an explanation of why you chose your option

• Novice diver

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Intermediate diver

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Expert diver

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Expert diver with a computer

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be more valuable to him to ask to see the divers' logs? This would give him the number of dives the diver has done as well as how recently he's dived.

Hi

This is a guage to how much personal attention you want from the guy.

If you say expert with a computer then he may leave you alone. If you choose any other then you may well get hassle you don't want ! or maybe only dives to 15m for 20 minutes with a bunch of tourists on their first PADI course. Purgatory !

On second thoughts if you say expert he may buddy you with a tourist on their first PADI course. Either way I think this type of question is trouble.

I would simply ask why he needs to know.

I personally think I shall always be a novice as I am always surprised and my ignorance reconfirmed by something everytime I go diving.

Depends on area of expertice!

As a recreational scuba diving instructor with 25 years experience, and over 1000 logged dives I think I can qualify as a recreational expert.

In technical (deep wreck penetration dives) I have less than 100, so in this area I'm a novice.

MikeD
:blfish:

I agree with Mike. This sort of classification is daft but if it makes the dive operator happy then so be it.

The important thing is that none of such should kid ourselves about our own relative expertise in any given area.

I see people riding motorbikes who give the impression that they believe they are the next Wayne Rainey/Freddie Spencer/Valentino Rossi/Mick Doohan (delete as appropriate). They are the ones whose death I tend to read about in the paper.

I'll always be a newbie no matter how long I dive or what classes I take.:D

redseal once bubbled...

The reason for asking is simple: I've signed on to go diving in the ABC Islands, and the dive operator wants to know if each diver signed up for the week is:
[1] Novice
[2] Intermediate
[3] Expert
{4] Expert with a computer
By all means don't pick expert if you don't feel expert.
I would recommend you call the operator and inquire the context they are asking the question.

Pick novice without understanding why they are asking the question and you could spend, at least your first several dives, diving less than desirable, more often visited sites.

What many of us on the board would consider novice or intermediate, they may consider more advanced. The main thing is to not let yourself be put in a situation your not comfortable with.

I received my first certification in August of 1969. Am I an expert? I don't know. I don't know because I don't understand the standard that's being applied.

Today I dive mostly with from boats with dive operators. Some know me and some don't. The only standard that I have been asked for is level of certification. Some dives are classified "Advanced" dives, which require an advanced certification.

I personally feel this grading of ones ability is a poor one. I think alot of people feel they drive better than the next guy. I feel entry people are reluctant to be a burdon on others or potentially embarass themselves, I was. If you've been on the boats you know there's always a wise a--. The dive logs always seemed to be private, and a good mechanism for establishing ability. Talking to a partner helps also. As for the computer, I used them in the beginning, and it helped. However, it pulled me away from using the tables, and that was not wise. The algerrithims, ( screwed that up ) of computers are very different. The tables are time tested and consistant. They prepare you for Nitrox, deco dives, and beyond. You really should know the tables. What if the computer croaks, what now? Do you have an analogue depth gauge? How are you going to figure your BT and nitrogen levels now. The tables have their place. The decision is yours, just think about it though..........

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
It's a rediculous question.
IMO, his distinction between an expert and an expert with a computer is goofy enough to make me go diving with someone else.
wetlettuce once bubbled...
This is a guage to how much personal attention you want from the guy. If you say expert with a computer then he may leave you alone. If you choose any other then you may well get hassle you don't want ! or maybe only dives to 15m for 20 minutes with a bunch of tourists on their first PADI course. Purgatory !
On second thoughts if you say expert he may buddy you with a tourist on their first PADI course. Either way I think this type of question is trouble.
I would simply ask why he needs to know.
Welshman once bubbled... This sort of classification is daft
Wreck/Tec once bubbled... I personally feel this grading of ones ability is a poor one.

Easy divers ... I don't think redseal intended any deception, levity, or ill will. But my goodness what harsh reactions this thread has illicited and in response to such an innocent discussion. If you reread redseal's post it contains legitimate questions. He is honestly seeking information.

Most people feel they are experts at something (even if in their own minds) but these same persons must humbly admit to being novices at most everything else - irrespective of diving. Like everything in life the more you learn the more you realize how little you know. Diving is a sport of continual education and achievment ... with no possible end. If you're looking for correlation between a badge with a certain number of dives marked on it, or a patch indicating some level of dive education, or a certification card with a dive org's stamp of approval on it AND having reached some pinnacle with nothing more to be learned or gained you won't be able to do it.

Expert is simply defined as a person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject. There are a lot of these folks here on ScubaBoard, but if any of them deliberately exposes themselves to a dangerous environment or circumstance beyond their level of education and "expertise" or experience they will be ignorant novices who are foolishly risking their lives. How to achieve expert level:

Rule 1: Keep diving
Rule 2: Dive one more time and then see Rule 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom