How do you classify yourself as a diver?

What type of diver are you? Please give an explanation of why you chose your option

• Novice diver

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Intermediate diver

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Expert diver

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Expert diver with a computer

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redseal
My intention wasn't to offend you or anyone, and if I have I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to all. I was a novice once, and felt the pressure to follow the pack. Fortunately I hooked up with a former instructor who had taken me under his wing. The first time I broke 90 feet I was sure I'd die, I really was scared but didn't want to be noticed. I forgot now who defined expert in the thread, but described it as a person who possesses alot of knowledge in a peticular area. I would have to agree. Origionally, the word expert had congered up this arrogant thought about the word. I do think there is a better way to judge ones ability though. Again, I apologise if anyone was offended. That wasn't my objective.
Wreck/Tec

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
I forgot now who defined expert in the thread, but described it as a person who possesses alot of knowledge in a peticular area. I would have to agree.

:Hmmm:

I have a basic mistrust of anyone who defines himself/herself as an "expert". They're usually the ones with all kinds of professional letters after their name and all kinds of certificates on the wall. I was at a marine electronics course years ago and one of the guys speaking (who had numerous degrees, a couple of patents and was the lead design engineer on the equipment in question, but did not consider himself an expert, because he still had lots to learn) gave the following quote. "Do you know what an expert is? It's someone from more than 60 miles away, that you don't know." Thus the reason many people hire the consultant form the big city or drive to a more distant shop. The guy in the bigger city, must know more, be better than the guy you grew up with, right?

Rather than rating the diver, perhaps they should rate the dive such as this http://www3.sympatico.ca/ouigiman/rating.htm

Kent

:doctor: On this board I'm a novice...the level of expertise is high.
On a resort dive boat I'm probably intermediate to high intermediate. If forced to chose I think it's better to err on the side of conservatism. For a first dive after a layoff or in a strange place I'm going to be a novice. After that dive I'll see how I preformed, how rusty I was and how tough the water is. Better that than getting into something you can't or don't want to handle. It isn't competition, it's fun. If it isn't comfortable or safe it isn't fun.

Well I saw two people on Saturday one looked very professional everything tucked away neatly and the other a mess of dangling hoses, bangers etc.

Imagine my shock when I found out the professional looking one was the student - I'd dive with her any day over the instructor...

I would classify myself as an intermediate diver. I have been certified since I was 12 but have only been diving with any kind of normalcy for about 3 years. I have logged about 100 dives total and have tons to learn. I was blessed by being the son of a NAUI instructor. I did my first dive off of his octopus while he more or less carried me under his arm when I was 8 years old. I have been hooked ever since.

No offense was taken by your comments.

I have been reading these boards long enough to realize that there are some "hot button" topics on these boards, and that some people get easily offended... so far, I'm not one of those people!!:)

The original posting that I made on this topic (along with the poll) is based verbatim on the registration form from the dive operator on Bonaire. And as I said in my post, I honestly don't know how to answer the question.

I will have at least another 25-40 dives under my belt between now and October 2003, some in the Caymans in March, some in the Bahamas later in the spring, hopefully some Carolina and/or Delaware dives with my LDS in the summer, and a bunch of quarry dives beginning in late, late spring/early summer, so when all is said and done, I will have >50-60 dives by October.

I believe this will "qualify" me to be an intermediate diver (although looking at another thread on this board re: 'average' number of dives/year I'm way short of the Scubaboard "average") with a computer. As others have said, I guess I'll be a novice in any new situation, intermediate for those I've gained dozens of dives in, and possibly never an expert, until or if I become a DM or AI (some years down the road....don't want to rush it and wind up offending Mike Ferrara or Uncle Pug!).

Gosh, wish I could dive daily....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom