How do you attach your octopus to your bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
SnorkleRegHolder.gif

Put the snorkle keeper through a D-ring, and thread one end of it through the other. This will hold the keeper in place. Put the mouthpiece of the octo through the free end, and it'll hold it securely. You'll be able to pull it out easily with a quick tug when you need it.
This is the method I use to attach to BCD and also to hold regs attached to stage bottles. You can always find one of these and they hold really well.
The bungied around the neck idea is fine as long as you and your buddies are prepared to accept a donated reg that you are breathing off. As has been mentioned above don't bungy the reg you intend to donate because it will make it hard to get off by an OOA diver. Using DIR methodology is all fine and good if everyone is on the same page but since most divers aren't the more standard methods seem to appy here.

Let's answer the question first, and then offer alternatives, if the interrogator is interested is alternatives.

the K

We tried a bunch of things that didn't work. In the end, we bough a little Zeagle number that uses velcro. It has worked great for us. It holds the octo when you want it held and (we tried this just to make sure) it rips free when you need it to.

Ok, now that we have consensus on which works best... :D Since The Kraken wants us to answer the "attach it to the bc" question, loop your octo hose then force the loop through a d-ring on your bc. No gadgetry or trickery involved. And at least not much strokery. It won't fall off, but it is hard on the hoses-you do rent your gear, don't you? :wink:

Once you get tired of all of this nonsense and have foolishly wasted time and money on garbage that does nothing but get sand and rocks in your octo, get a piece of 1/8" bungie material and make a necklace, using a fisherman's knot to hold the octo's mouthpiece. There are a few websites that show how to make one. The 1/8" works because if your buddy is absolutely clueless, he can just pull it and it comes out of the knot, much like how the scumball is supposed to work.

I have a plastic clip that attaches to the metal hose fitting of the Octo and snaps to the DRing on my right shoulder. 60 dives or so on it and it has yet to come loose while diving. If you pull on the reg the part that clips to the hose comes off the hose and remains attached to the DRing with the snap. It is a pain to get hooked back up in wet gloves if you donate it, but otherwise works like a charm.

The reg is always where I want it, those not used to getting the primary know where to find it, unlike the bungeed necklace option. Very streamlined as the reg lays flat against my body and because it is the hose getting clipped to the DRing not the reg itself it is positioned about 4 " below my chin slightly to the right - in a pinch I can get to it no hands. You do want to make sure that it is the last thing you clip to that ring and you are careful when reattaching anything to that DRing so the hose is not under something else. I run the hose under my arm so if you take the reg from me you are going to be up close and personal until we sort things out, but if I donate with my right hand this is not an issue at all.

I got it with the reg so have no idea where you would buy such a clip but I am sure someone will know.

MSilvia:
SnorkleRegHolder.gif

Put the snorkle keeper through a D-ring, and thread one end of it through the other. This will hold the keeper in place. Put the mouthpiece of the octo through the free end, and it'll hold it securely. You'll be able to pull it out easily with a quick tug when you need it.
Works for me. I use the upper right D-ring so it's relatively high up and visible when horizontal. Using the upper D-ring also means that I can test breathe it without pulling it out of the snorkel keeper.

Snorkel keepers are cheap. I keep a few extras handy for insta-buddies in rental gear without a decent snorkel keeper.

For my backup I just used some 1/8" bungee cord, tied a loop and tied it to the D-Ring near the chest strap on my Transpac. I don't have the long hose - so I can't do the bungee necklace option, but this way keeps it secure and yet easy to "deploy" (just grab and rip it down and it comes out of the loop). I like it.

-Nick

SmileMon:
The octo holders that are in the market press on the hose and from my gardening era, anything that presses the hose will cause a damage, small as it is, nobody wants the hose to start leaking in the middle of a dive.

The one I am speaking of does not press on the hose, it clips to the metal nut that attaches the octo to the hose. I suspect that this part is perhaps $3.00 but because it is SCUBA gear probably $6.00. Thinking about I should probably have a spare for the SAD kit.

Back
Top Bottom