How do they make the darn things?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

android

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody got photos or a website that show how steel tanks are made?

I assume they are cold worked from disks or some such thing, but would like to see the process.

Rodale's had a good article on how Al cylinders are made (a cylinder of aluminum is kinda stamped into by a rod that matches the internal diameter). I've been wondering about steel myself.

PR IS AWSOME. I called PST to inquire about just that. They are mailing me a video on how their steel cylinders are made. Its 100% free and all you have to do is call, so jump on it. Should be pretty cool to see.

PST's number is 414-476-0500. Press 1 for the customer service menu.

-Matt

Alright for those of you that cannot wait, a steel tank is made like this:

Forming steel tanks for scuba uses a cold-formed process called the deep-drawn process. In this process, a single blank of steel or other metal is forced into a die using a large punch. Deep-drawing differs from stamping in that deeper cavities can be formed. In this process, the depth of the cavity can be greater than its diameter.

More of a report when I get my video :wink:

-Matt

Yeah, it's a punch & die setup with a hydraulic press. Basically a hockey puck of AL is turned into a tank (not including forming the neck & shoulder & threading it) in less than a second. Really quite amazing, to me at least.

Wayward Son:
Yeah, it's a punch & die setup with a hydraulic press. Basically a hockey puck of AL is turned into a tank (not including forming the neck & shoulder & threading it) in less than a second. Really quite amazing, to me at least.

yeah that's an aluminum tank, i thought steel would be different

Cool, it's the same basic deal, just from plate rather than a puck. I knew a guy back in the 1970's who had a tour of the plant where tanks were made for US Divers, and he told me it was a cold forming process using a punch & die, from steel plate. Guess if it works, no need to change it, LOL. I'd like to actually see it in person myself one day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom