How do I get a d-ring to stand up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are we even talking to this heathen with a jacket? This is after all Scubaboard. This thread should have been shunned on page 1:):D.

Jk... I use the o ring trick. I got pretty thick ones from the local hardware store. Works great.

Here's one that might work.

dir-hw1105ss-bent.jpg
Dive Rite 1.5in Stainless Steel Bent D-Ring
Rating:
%
$1.70
Add to Cart

logo_diverite.jpg

0 Review 0 Question | Write a review
$1.70
Availability: Available to Order
Only 2 left
SKU
DIR-HW1105SS-BENT
Skip to the end of the images gallery
Skip to the beginning of the images gallery
Details
Constructed of 3/16" thick stainless steel and 1.5 inches wide.

I guess the takeaway from this thread is that if you have an older model you can use an o-ring to help keep it up.

I guess the takeaway from this thread is that if you have an older model you can use an o-ring to help keep it up.

When I lived in Seattle there was a store close to the water front that sold those kind of o-rings. It was right across from the adult theater. Or sold I’ve been told.
So, it’s a 1/4” drop on one side of the webbing and 1/2 “ on the other. I’m not quite ready to abandon my bc, even though DGX keeps popping up in my ad feeds. I’m thinking @-JD- and @divad have the most feasible options. However, I’m going to try the option @OTF suggested first. I’m not sure the aluminum will hold up to the process, but I’ve got nothing to loose.
@-JD- asked for photos, so here they are. The first 2 are of the side with the issue, the 3rd one is just to give a good view of the d-ring as provided by ScubaPro. It really has been a great little bc.
308B4B25-681F-4440-9A06-2F1CE46111F7.jpeg 81312000-2631-479E-B491-053AFF1C4E6D.jpeg A23BC9AD-BDA5-4AC7-9BCF-BF2AEADA08AA.jpeg

Thanks, again, for the input, suggestions and entertainment!
Erik

Looks like you could drop one of the removable-pin bent d-rings through the upper attachment loop for the swivel as long as you are ok with it being a bit lower.

The existing d-ring webbing loop looks like it would be too narrow to stabilize a 2" wide ring.

Looks like you could drop one of the removable-pin bent d-rings through the upper attachment loop for the swivel as long as you are ok with it being a bit lower.

The existing d-ring webbing loop looks like it would be too narrow to stabilize a 2" wide ring.

That is something I didn’t think of. That would probably be a good place for it. I just finished bending the existing d-ring and I tried it out. Turns out it’s more an issue of reaching it than finding it. No one ever told me that I wasn’t near it when they saw me struggling to attach my reg or light to it. Oh well. Thanks for the idea.

Just a follow up on the d-ring situation. I purchased one of the removable pin d-rings that @-JD- had suggested, and it arrived yesterday. I went with the upper attachment loop and it worked, but not as well as hoped. I decided to brace it with cave line to give it a bit more oomph, and here are some photos.
E2979FCB-5915-4F0C-8908-8DEA2B2BCA5A.jpeg F5ECF42E-0CE0-4D5C-A094-B7646BF2C1CD.jpeg

Would a cable tie work?

Try stretching a suitable sized O-ring across it and push one side behind the slider. If you don't have an O-ring handy try it with a thick rubber band and you will see what I mean. You could also possibly do it with a narrow piece of inner tube but an O-ring would be better.
I've always used bungee chord, but a thick O-ring sounds like a more convenient way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom