How do I get a d-ring to stand up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I should have looked at the d-ring set up a bit closer before starting the tread. I grabbed an o-ring and a zip tie, got my bc and realized that it is a dangling d-ring (my term, not Scubapro’s. Or anyone else’s as far as I know). The 1” webbing that holds the d-ring loops back around, so that it drops about 1/2-3/4 inch from the shoulder strap. The o-ring helped some by tightening the webbing around the d-ring, but i still moves rather easily. I may try finding an appropriately sized bent d-ring and giving the suggestion from @divad a go.
Thanks again, everyone.

Well, I should have looked at the d-ring set up a bit closer before starting the tread. I grabbed an o-ring and a zip tie, got my bc and realized that it is a dangling d-ring (my term, not Scubapro’s. Or anyone else’s as far as I know). The 1” webbing that holds the d-ring loops back around, so that it drops about 1/2-3/4 inch from the shoulder strap. The o-ring helped some by tightening the webbing around the d-ring, but i still moves rather easily. I may try finding an appropriately sized bent d-ring and giving the suggestion from @divad a go.
Thanks again, everyone.
Methinks I see a bp/w in your future.

Methinks I see a bp/w in your future.

Indeed. Infinitely customizable. I've gone through MANY different D-ring configurations over the years driven by experimentation and the types of diving I was doing. I'm now back to a purely recreational diver and I'm using the standard Hogarthian/DIR D-ring configuration. That works for some but not everyone. With a simple harness on a backplate you can customize and configure to get EXACTLY the setup you want.

Thanks again, everyone.
I no longer have access to a LiteHawk, I sold my son's since he outgrew it.

Pictures would help for suggestions on tweaks for your setup.

How wide is the webbing?

Randy at Piranha Dive Manufacturing, for all your diving needs. has a bunch of options that are no-cut/no-sew that might work depending on webbing size:

This would probably replace your existing ring even if narrower than 2" and give you a bent one:
Removable Pin D-Ring Angled / Bent Version , Piranha Dive Shop |
Molle-Quick-Link-D-Ring12699-6923.png

He also has a bunch of innovative "slip-on" ring variants for 2" webbing: Shopping Categories Piranha Dive Shop |

EX: This is long, bent ring with slider teeth Slip-On Webbing LONG D-Ring
Slip-On-Webbing-LONG-D-Ring-Bent-w-Teeth15414-12488.JPG

Even if it's not removable, you could bend the d-ring in-situ if it being bent would help.

Thanks again, everyone.

Gorilla tape the dangly strap to the shoulder strap leaving the d-ring free but with the o-ring trick. Or if you can get around both, use a piece of 700cc bicycle inner tube to hold the straps together.

Halcyon started doing exactly this on their hip d-rings.
The photo in my post is of the weight pocket on my single Halcyon rig with an integrated LH D ring. I didn't like the way the flat D ring flopped about and sat flush, making it difficult to locate with thick gloves.

I would have preferred to replace it with a fixed 90° billy ring on a tri-glide, but the pocket has the ring sewed in to the webbing. The other option was to carefully put the flat ring in a bench vice and use a lever bar to get a 45° cant.

Interesting that Halcyon have now made this a permanent modification.

Back
Top Bottom