How did I screw up these indoor pics so bad?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

:silly:​

Edit: Problem solved - it was fat finger syndrome, but I'll leave all this for chuckles...

My granddaughter turns 6 and her mother has a wonderful idea taken from their recent Disneyworld adventure! Have all the girls wear princess dresses, fix up their hair with barrettes, tiaras, and glitter, apply nail color and make-up - what a mess but what fun...!

And I was the photographer. I had hell with the side lighting in that house causing shadows I just could not deal with. I test fired in my home where I use overhead lighting more with no problem so it wasn't the camera, I don't think. I need to learn to deal with sidelight better, and maybe carry a flood lamp on special shoots like this. Or was it the camera? I was shooting a Canon A 2000 IS in Indoor mode. I've reduce the size and resolution so I can attach them here in clickable thumbs, but I think you'll see my problem...

I knew something was up when I got my granddaughter at the fireplace I wanted to use for the individual shots. A test shot of the fireplace also. That shadow was not there, but appeared in the pics. Edit: I was using the internal camera flash, no stobe...
Party 003.jpg Party 006.jpg

Had problems elsewhere around the house, too...
Party 007.jpg Party 008.jpg Party 009.jpg Party 010.jpg Party 039.jpg Party 048.jpg

Haha, the hostess at the aftermath party; my daughter on the left and her sis-in-law on the right...
Party 056.jpg

I did improve the pics substantially in photoshop, but not totally. TG the camcorder did better with the table scene...

Last edited:
Well, looks to me as if you were using an external strobe and had it misaligned.

the K

Well, looks to me as if you were using an external strobe and had it misaligned.

the K

Ditto, flash is pointing too low. You can see on the portrait shots, the shadow is aligned to the right. On landscape shots the shadow is on top. That tells you that the orientation of the camera affects the orientation of the shadowing (and also confirms that you shoot portrait shots with a typical point-and-shoot shutter-on-bottom grip).

You can probably fix these with a feathered exposure adjustment in photoshop, but it'll take a little manual tweaking.

Last edited:
Yep, that alignment may work well on the closeups on the reef, but not at those distances.

Maybe a strobe with a pointing light ???? DS-151

the K

the K
Nope. I added this Edit to post 1: I was using the internal camera flash, no stobe...

Could the internal flash be misaimed? Or maybe I was shooting too far from the subjects for the internal flash? When I darken the room at home and test shoot, I do get a similar problem on distance.
These aren't by any means fantastic, just an example that you can quickly recover at least some of the image, especially if it's the only record you have of the event.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Yeah, I did what I could. Appreciate your efforts and encouragement. The ones you fixed...
2u6cric.jpg 34xnp5y.jpg

My attempts but I seem to have deleted one of the pics I used in example....
Princesses-03 (Large).jpg Princesses-43 (Large).jpg

Could your camera have been damaged or jarred somehow?

Whatever it is, it's a definite misalignment issue.

[-]If the camera has a flip up flash, it may not be opening all the way[/-]. One way or the other, the flash is misaligned. [-]What kind of camera is it[/-]?

Sorry, I see it is a Canon A 2000. The internal flash lamp or reflector is loose.

Could your camera have been damaged or jarred somehow?

Whatever it is, it's a definite misalignment issue.
It's possble, altho I am now leaning toward being too far from the subjects.

If the camera has a flip up flash, it may not be opening all the way. One way or the other, the flash is misaligned. What kind of camera is it?
Canon A 2000 IS in Indoor mode, with internal flash. You think it could have been an internal flash misalignment? I could send it in under warranty I suppose.

The shawow is on the right in some, on top on others...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom