How did I screw up these indoor pics so bad?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Test. Set the camera up on a tripod, shoot a flat wall at 8' see if the flash pattern is in the center and covers the frame.

PS, maybe your finger was too close to the flash, shading the top of the flash?

Given that it's digital, there couldn't be a synchronization issue, could there?

Given that it's digital, there couldn't be a synchronization issue, could there?

I doubt it. The line between the flash zone and the non-flash zone would be more distinct.

I was thinking the same thing. That's what happens to the pictures that my 4yo daughter like to take with her moms Nikon cool pix her little hands some times obscure the flash creating uneven lighting. Heck Ive even done it myself when rushing to get a shot.
This is one of her favorite coloring book.
march09 040.JPG

Test. Set the camera up on a tripod, shoot a flat wall at 8' see if the flash pattern is in the center and covers the frame.

It does look like the shadow moves around... Test (Large).jpg

The shawow is on the right in some, on top on others...?

Don,

From the pictures you posted, it looks like the shadow is always in the same spot - it's on the top half of the frame. It just shows up on the right in the taller shots because you're rotating the camera to portrait mode.

The A2000 uses a CCD sensor, which requires a mechanical shutter, so a timing issue is possible, although I think that most focal plane shutters move left to right (or vice versa), not top to bottom, which would be required to darken out the top half of the frame as your images show.

Edit: I don't see anything particularly faulty with the image in Post #15. Like many compact cameras, the flash is a bit weak to provide coverage for the entire frame, but that kind of vignetting is pretty typical for such class of cameras. If you don't get different results with test shots closer or further away from the wall, maybe user-finger-error is to blame? :)

Gawd, I feel so dumb now...!

It wouldn't be so bad if I was new to this, but - well, I phone Canon, had a nice chat, and he insisted it wasn't the camera, then had me to do test shots being more careful to keep my fat finger away from the flash...
Test2 002 (Medium).jpg
:shakehead:

Thanks all for helping me work thru this sophomoric problem...

Thanks all for helping me work thru this sophomoric problem...

We all have been there, done that:wink:

Don Trust me when I say that I know how difficult a job this type of photo shoot is.
Having just had a Tinkerbell party for my 7yo daughter and me working the camera.
And myself being no pro by any stretch of my imagination.
This is a very high pressure situation LOL.
The mere fact that you got the girls to sit long enough to pose is an amazing accomplishment.
I think out of about 72 shots from my daughters party 15 might be keepers.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom