How deep are you willing to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it really depends on how well your breathing is aswell as your bouyancy. I have spent most of my time diving the great lakes/tobermoray where temps are as low as the 40's on average. Using dry suits for the most part or thick wet suits and most of my fellow divers use AL 80's with no problem even on wrecks such as the Arabia (temp 42 - 48 avg. Depth 113 to 117) and the Keystorm (temp. 50's and 60's avg. Depth 115 to 117 deepest) I usually bring a 20Cu.Ft. pony bottle although I have never had to use it. My average time is about 15 to 25 mins for either of these wrecks, although to be fair the Keystorm is on a nice slope from I believe 25ft to 117ft so your not at the deepest for that long. Either way if you can manage your air well anything is possible, just remember expect the best but plan for the worst!

Last edited:
I have done to 125 on an al80 on the spiegel but that was before I took my tech class and became an instructor. If I was planning that dive again I'd want my 30 or 40 slung at minimum. Better yet I'll dive with an op like Conch Republic or Silent World that rents doubles or a big steel.

Plan your dive, dive you plan.

Personally, I'm comfortable with any depth in recreational limits on a single AL80 in an OW environment. Anything deeper, or involving an overhead environment, deco or otherwise, and I prefer to have some sort of redundancy or reserve.

This is a very reasonable guideline, one which I also follow under most circumstances.

Good diving, Craig

did the Grove and Duane @105' on an AL80

I don't do dives to any depth without my pony, so yes I'd dive to 115 with an Al 80. I've gone to 160 ft with an Al 80 many times, although I generally limit myself to 130 ft (and most frequently dive above 75-80 ft on an Al 80). I like some bottom time.

The last dive op I went with was routinely doing their morning dive to 110' on Al80s with all their clients. We didn't go out on that dive but it wasn't because of the tank, just wanted some more dives in before going that deep for the first time.

I don't see any problem with it so long as your air consumption isn't horrendously bad.

Plan your dive, dive you plan.

There is no real one size fits all answer to a question like this. It depends on what level of risk each individual is willing to assume and is capable of managing. Personally, I'm comfortable with any depth in recreational limits on a single AL80 in an OW environment. /QUOTE]

I dive regularly within recreational limits in open water (no overhead environment) with an AL80.

It's important that you not only are aware of your diving capabilities and limitations, but your equipment's capabilities and limitations as well.

When one pushes either their capabilities or their equipment's capabilities one becomes an accident waiting to be.

The true answer to the question is that any dive, regardless of depth, should be the subject of effective Gas Planning and Management.

Knowledge of your SAC, plus the effects of depth/pressure on your air consumption, allow you to quickly ascertain the correct level of gas supply required for any given depth and duration of dive.

Given that understanding, you have the options of choosing your gas supply to meet your plan.... or planning your dive to fit with your available gas supply.

For deeper dives, you may also wish to factor in an appropriate redundanct air supply for emergency ascents (pony bottle) or plan your dive to use the 'rule of thirds' to ensure a more generous contingency.

Back
Top Bottom