How cold does it have to be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
How cold does the water temperature have to be to use a drysuit?
I found a 7.5mm semi-dry suit. And I was wondering if that would be acceptable over a drysuit.

These are the average temperatures of where I would be diving for the most part, during these months:
May: 5.2*C
June: 9.4*C
July: 14.1*C
August: 17*C
September: 16.6*C

Is this too cold for a 7.5mm semi-dry suit?

I just found this semi-dry suit and was wondering if it would be better to choose that over a drysuit for the time being. Mainly as it would be nearly a $4000 (Cad) difference.

The benefit to me is when you want to extend your season of diving - a drysuit is worth it.

When it gets around 5c or below it gets chilly if you are diving 45 mins or longer. If you are in a drysuit with dry gloves it is a non issue.

If you do not intend on extending your season beyond September or before May - in my opinion save your money. :)

I wear a full 7mm, hooded vest, good gloves and booties in cold water. I'm reasonably comfortable down to about 11 degrees but get cold at 9-10 degrees. I would only be able to dive in the summer, July-Sept. A 7.5mm semi-dry may be a bit warmer but the water temps in May and June are pretty cold. If I were you, I would probably invest in a dry suit so that you can enjoy your diving in relative warmth. Perhaps you could find a good used dry suit to start you off and save some money. Personally, I really dislike feeling cold and my gas consumption goes up.

I would wear a dry suit in any of those temperatures.

I like diving wet... But, I saw a guy in a drysuit in Bonaire ..... :eek:

Jim....

How cold does the water temperature have to be to use a drysuit?
I found a 7.5mm semi-dry suit. And I was wondering if that would be acceptable over a drysuit.

These are the average temperatures of where I would be diving for the most part, during these months:
May: 5.2*C
June: 9.4*C
July: 14.1*C
August: 17*C
September: 16.6*C

Is this too cold for a 7.5mm semi-dry suit?

I just found this semi-dry suit and was wondering if it would be better to choose that over a drysuit for the time being. Mainly as it would be nearly a $4000 (Cad) difference.
Drysuit

You're going to find the second/third dive much more comfortable as well as your SI between the dives and after the last dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom