How cold does it have to be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing to consider is what kind of conditions you have when you come out of the water. I dive wet, I dive the ocean here in NorCal down to 9C or so, however if I come out to cold, overcast, and windy conditions I'm not likely to make dive #2 because there is no way to warm up after the dive unless I get out of the suit and get into a hot dry vehicle.

I have never considered diving dry because the ocean here remain around 10C year round, however in your situation I would be shopping for a drysuit.

Bob

Oh, my bad. It's more of a 2000 d
You either got really cheap semi dry or really top of the line drysuit to get to $4000 difference?
Oh, my bad. The difference is more around $2000 CAD, not $4000

The best way to save money on a drysuit is not to purchase a wetsuit first. I still bet you could be into a drysuit and diving year round for under $2000CAD. You will be much warmer and happier.

look for a used drysuit too. if you get lucky with sizing, that can save a lot. i bought a used usia drysuit off CL to ditch the 2 piece.

And what if you're diving in warmer waters? Like the tropics?
You can't wear a drysuit, can you?

Yes you can. My drysuit has travelled the world with me. Trilam suit, with just a light base layer for warm water is perfect. Strip the suit halfway in between dives (just like you would a wetsuit), and you're golden.

Sure you can. A trilam suit does not provide any warmth, so you could use it even in tropic waters like Bali and Thailand. No problem. Neoprene dry suit could pose a problem at those temperatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom