How cold can I get away with a 7mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many variables to consider in order to answer that question. One point I did not see mentioned was wetsuit construction. It all depends on what type of suit you are diving. If you have a Rubatex neoprene suit you are going to stay way warmer than a standard wetsuit because of compression. For example at 80 feet in a 7 mm blended neoprene wetsuit, your suit is compressed to about 3mm. So now you are getting cold. At 80 feet in a Rubatex 7mm wetsuit you still have at least 6.5 mm of warmth in your suit. Now you are going to stay warmer longer. I know most people will say just dive dry.......But some people (including myself) don't like to dive dry. I don't personally have a lot of cold diving (below 50's) experience; however I have quite a few friends and family members who dive mostly in the 40 - 65 range. They all dive wet because they are in Rubatex suits made by Wetwear. They wear a 7 mm semi-dry suit with either a 3mm or 5mm short sleeve shorty over top, plus a 7mm hood of course. They are fine in these temps.

Again everyone is different and this is just my input!!!!

Sold my 7mm a few years ago, but from what I remember:

50 degrees = one dive (with air temp in the 40's)

60 degrees = two dives (with air temp in the 60's and no wind)

Then again, I've done:

41 degrees for two dives, air temp 30 degrees, windy and snowing (never again!)

2 days ago was using a 7mm Farmerjohn with a 7mm shorty and no hood. Water temp was 42, I swear to god I'm getting a hood after that. Everything was comfortable other that my head hurting due to the cold.

I know it differ from people to people, but generally speaking, at what temperature is the cut off point for a 7mm wetsuit?

Not sure, but I would suggest that it's not the temp in the water that determines how miserable you might be, but the temp during the SI.

I've seen divers do some rather cold dives in a 7mm. They were not warm during the dive, but what they complain about most is not the dive, but the SI. They are in a cold suit that is wet, and generally they start complaining about their feet first. When it's time for the second dive, while us dry divers are happily gearing up, they are attempting to feel their feet! :shakehead:

20 minutes into the second dive, they are suffering from borderline hypothermia, and that is no way to dive!

I know it differ from people to people, but generally speaking, at what temperature is the cut off point for a 7mm wetsuit?

Just a 7mm wetsuit? Or a wetsuit with a hood, gloves and boots? The only documentation I've read on this says 39 - 68F or 4 - 20C. I'm going for my first dive in less than 75F water. The temperature is going to be 56F and they recommend AT LEAST a 7mm with hood, gloves and boots. Friends tell me that the feet are the first thing to go cold.

On the other hand, I know two guys from Belgium who ice dive in 7mm wetsuits.

you have to think about how long your surface interval is, your own tolorance, and how many dives you intend to make in a day. When I dive in Monterey I usually do two dives a day in 50 degree water and I use a 7mm suit with a 7mm vest over it. It limits mobility but it does the trick

I dive in water temp 43 F and below. I wear a 7mm farmer john suit, boots, gloves, hood. I think that the key to being able to dive for 45min. to 60, I take along warm water to fill my wet suit before we enter the water. I haven't gotten cold when I do that. Even with a long SI, I fill my suit up with warm water before re-entering the water, can dive another 45-60 minutes. Lips are the only part that get a little chilly. I am thinking of going with an AGA when it gets real cold.

Back
Top Bottom