How cold can I get away with a 7mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Socal, and I can tolerate cold pretty well. My body tends to run on the hot side. In the past I dove 51 to 52 degrees with no problem, and that is without a hood.

But some how I felt cold last week on the surface from a 54 degree dive. In all fairness, I haven't dove in over 6 months, and I'm a slightly out of shape in terms of my cardio, so I'm sure I'm sucking a lot more air. I think I will try a hood to see if that will help.

I have one of the 5/4 Merino lined suits from Pinnacle. I had on hood and gloves and was toasty in 56 degree water.

The quarter inch thick wetsuits were like 6 or 7 mm. 40 dregrees F was do-able, and 38 was difficult.

I'll dive to 46-48 F in a 7mm wetsuit (even the ones I own that are "ventilated")... but I don't possess an advanced nervous system.

I dived 34F for 45 minuts this winter with a 7mil full body, hooded vest, mitten and boots. I had also an underskin and most important, a pair of neprene socks. The socks made the difference. no cold feet.

But then again, I have a lot of "bioprene".

I dived 34F for 45 minuts this winter with a 7mil full body, hooded vest, mitten and boots. I had also an underskin and most important, a pair of neprene socks. The socks made the difference. no cold feet.

But then again, I have a lot of "bioprene".

Wow....34? You're an animal. I'll be happy if I could tough it out at the mid to high 40's

Done a few dives @ Gilboa in a 7mm farmer john at 4 degrees. Damn cold, but I'm all man.

I dive my Bare 7mm here in So. Cal all the time.Three weeks ago the bottom temp. on a night dive was 48 degrees and I was still comfortable.Most of my diving is at the low to mid 50's and I very rarely get cold.I usually dive with no hood,too.

Depends on how much you love to dive and if you are having fun.

Did Gilboa 2nd week of Jan water 42 Air 36 and sunny Full 7mil with 7mil hooded vest *lips turned blue but, I had fun so, I didn't care

Union Lake Michigan Beginning of November 07' Water 48 Air 50's Froze my tushy off and gave my buddy the finger ****he's one of my fave buds but, I was a little miserable **It was the start of the gray/overcast winter

I wouldn't give up either dive but, my mindset made all of the difference. Plus, I'm poor so, no drysuit for me yet. Best to have a good attitude about freezing. :)

MTBR: I must say we did just one dive that day to celebrate the new year of diving. If we had done more than one dive, I would have cut it short, maybe 30 minutes to be able to dive the second. My buddy was frozen solid after 45 minutes.

The exterior temperature was about 32F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom