How Can I Maintain My HD Video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question...but here goes. I have a Sony XR520 and love the video that I shoot with it. The video records in HD but when I try to post it some place such as You Tube, the video is truncated and not really in HD anymore. Is there a sight to post it to or a way to maintain the HD quality of the video so that others may see it? I realize the higher the quality the more space and "heavier" (in terms of megabytes, gigabytes) the video will be. Just did not know if there were sites that would allow me to retain the quality and length of the video.

Vimeo is the perfect place. Get the PLUS subscription and you can post HD videos.

Included with Vimeo Plus for 60 usd / year

* Even higher quality video
* 5GB/week upload space
* Unlimited HD uploading
* Embed in HD!
* Faster, priority uploading
* Super-customizable video player
* Original file storage and downloading
* Unlimited Groups, Channels & Albums
* Advanced privacy including domain-level control
* You never see ads, ever!
* Much, much more

HD on Vimeo = love

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question...but here goes. I have a Sony XR520 and love the video that I shoot with it. The video records in HD but when I try to post it some place such as You Tube, the video is truncated and not really in HD anymore. Is there a sight to post it to or a way to maintain the HD quality of the video so that others may see it? I realize the higher the quality the more space and "heavier" (in terms of megabytes, gigabytes) the video will be. Just did not know if there were sites that would allow me to retain the quality and length of the video.

when you save your files, what size/quality are you saving them as? That may be your problem. YouTube now has HD capability and my videos there look just as good as on Vimeo (I have both). It is important to upload the best quality of file that is allowable on the site.

Hi, youtube will only allow a video at 1280x720p, i have uploaded both 1080p and 720p and they look the same!
If you up load to vimeo is it 720p or 1080p?
Here is a link for best formats for youtube, YouTube Handbook - Produce
but they don't have the HD format which is 1280 x 720p MPEG4 H264.

Vimeo and Youtube will accept exactly the same quality files, and produce nearly the same output using similar compression schemes. Both are 720p max.

And yes, Youtube does do 720p mpeg4. I have a number of real HD videos there. Facebook as well.

Sorry, i meant that they didn't have it listed:blush:

I went back and had a look at the 1080i video i uploaded to youtube a few weeks ago and it gave me the option of watching it at 1080i this time, so i think they have just upgraded to the better rez!!!!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom