What should I do with a Bluefin HD housing I just got?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I met up with a diver who has retired from diving due to a condition in his back. He sold all of his old gear for basically nothing. (One way to look at it: I got a drysuit that fits me perfectly for a great price and got a whole lot of other stuff for free)

One thing he gave me is an older Bluefin HD housing, with two Sunray lights (look like halogen) and batteries and a Sony HDR-HC9 camera. The lights have flexible mounts and allow you to light up the scene without creating hotspots.

Light and motion's website seems to not remember this case exists - they have manuals for a similar G10/G20/G30. It's basically the same thing as those - just gray instead of black and for Sony instead of Canon. The buttons look pretty similar.

A few questions:
  1. Does anyone know if there are any more modern cameras than the HDR-HC9 that I could use in that housing?
  2. As far as video quality goes, would I be better off just mounting a Gopro on the top of the housing and using the housing as a way to power and adjust the two halogen lights?
It seems so ridiculous that such a beefy housing would only work with one or two camera models - it uses some control cables to communicate with the camera so in theory it seems like maybe a later model that used the same kind of controls would be ok.

Any other suggestions about what I should do with it? Are the lights usable without the case? (in other words, keep the lights, find another use for them with a different underwater camera that's less kludgy than strapping a gopro onto this box?)

I have been using a Bluefin for another camera and if I were you I would not invest a lot of money into this. Changing the settings- if Light and Motion will even do it- is pricey. So if the camera isn't the type of camera you would like- move on. The lights are certainly usable. You don't say if you have already been using any camera underwater so if you want to shoot photos or video that will also affect your choices. I recommend you research the camera and see if it suits you. If it doesn't - find the camera that will and take it from there.
I have encountered a lot of people that really like their gopro and have shot good video . If you already have one- you probably need to get a supersuit for it and a tray configuration for the camera and to use the lights.

There are lots of great reviews on youtube and the online retailers that will help you make your decision. You will most likely get some good feedback here on the site too.

I think just getting this housing serviced by L&M will be costly too.

I am going to get new equipment- the Bluefin is bulky and the new cameras and housings are far superior to what I have.
If you decide you don't want to use this housing- you can probably sell it on eBay.

Thanks for the advice. I have not been using any cameras underwater yet. I was assuming the Sony HDR-HC9 camera would not feel great for quality because it's 1080i and is fairly old.

More than ten years ago I did use some sony cameras for video work (above water) and I know they tended to put out cameras with very similar form factors but upgraded features over the span of a couple of years so I wasn't sure if they would have come out with a better version than the HDR-HC9 that used the same kind of LANC controls / video connector... A camera that recorded to solid state meda and did 1080p with a good low-light sensor would be something I could live with (especially if the lights are good)

After I figured out how to open the battery pods I also realize now that the light batteries aren't in there. (They might be in another bag of stuff I got from the guy, I'll keep looking). If he didn't include them it was either because he got rid of them before or he forgot - the charger and everything else is in the case.

The battery pods are definitely designed to slide right under that case. I'm guessing that buying the batteries for this setup would be more than I want to invest in this older setup - unless these battery pods are somehow useable in some other kind of mounting configuration?

I would look on eBay and see. If the battery pods can easily be replaced and at what cost. If not, you can probably sell a lot of that stuff on eBay or some other site. People are often looking for parts on older equipment they are trying to keep using and it has surprised me how much people will pay for broken or incomplete items. You just have to make sure you do full disclosure of the condition and of course, if it is worth your time.

Years ago when I first bought my Bluefin it was for a Sony (550?) and the white balancing was just horrible no matter what I did so I had mine reconfigured to a Canon. That was expensive and I am not even sure you can get L&M to even work on one now to do something like that.

Near Christmas time has in the past a good time to get some great deals on underwater photography equipment. If you sign up for the online retailers emails they will also keep you apprised of new products and their sales.

Good luck- let us know what you decide to do.

Those things were the bomb! 20 years ago.

I looked at re-purposing the lights as well, but the batteries only lasted about 15 minutes, and for the price of new battery packs, you can get modern lights that are way better.

Pitch it, sell for scrap/parts or get creative and use the housing for something else altogether. Mailbox maybe?

It would probably do pretty well as a steadying ballast for a gopro. At least until you had to get it out of the water!

That case makes a great case for storing your car-keys and wallet when shore diving. That’s it.

That case makes a great case for storing your car-keys and wallet when shore diving. That’s it.

This case is large enough I could store my keys, wallet, and a complete change of clothes :rofl3:

I'll go see if ebay has a way to help it find it's way to someone who can give it a loving home.

Back
Top Bottom