How about this?? Nitrox c-card without a single checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay.....best I remember, that tank of EAN I breathed during my course didn't change anything while diving. Didn't even have my instructor present for the dives. I already know how to dive, learning some new tables and restrictions has nothing to do with diving itself.

IMHO

I am truely shocked, I really don't know how to reply. For every other aspect of this sport, you people spout off and are outrage about the lack of training and the c-card factories that are out there. But, alas you don't need anything but theory training to breathe.

No, I am not nitrox certified and I understand you can backpack the nitrox class on top of another. I have read the manuals and watched the videos, yet every dive shop I have been to will not just give me the cert for passing an exam and it does not cost any more to do the dives. So the "milk you for more money" aguement is moot.

So, in your same train of thought anyone should be able to read a book take a test and dive trimix or heliox.

If I'm off base then I'll shutup

dscheck:
I am truely shocked, I really don't know how to reply. For every other aspect of this sport, you people spout off and are outrage about the lack of training and the c-card factories that are out there. But, alas you don't need anything but theory training to breathe.

No, I am not nitrox certified and I understand you can backpack the nitrox class on top of another. I have read the manuals and watched the videos, yet every dive shop I have been to will not just give me the cert for passing an exam and it does not cost any more to do the dives. So the "milk you for more money" aguement is moot.

So, in your same train of thought anyone should be able to read a book take a test and dive trimix or heliox.

Nitrox breathes different from air? That's a new one on me....

That is absurd to suggest that you could "take a test and dvie trimix or heliox." Nitrox does not significantly change anything but NDLs. Helium is a faster gas and thus a profile that would normally be fine on a non-helium mix would bend you. Also helium mixes are mainly used for deco dives...I don't see how deco dives can be compared to basic nitrox. Apples/Turnups. Not even close to a fair argument.

The open water checkout dives are optional with SSI, however, if no open water dives are made the Nitrox specialty course cannot be counted toward Advanced Diver. If the SSI instructor is offering the Nitrox course as part of the Specialty or Advanced Diver course then two open water dives are required.

DIVE OBJECTIVE: Page 3-1
"The objective of the open water sessions is for the divers to properly plan and make an EANx dive under the indirect supervision of an instructor. The divers should plan the dive, analyze their cylinder, check their equipment, make the dive, and log the dive and appropriate information in their dive log.

Since the primary difference between air and nitrox diving is dive planning, the emphasis should be placed on these exercises. The students should work in buddy teams for all the exercises and use dive planning and air analysis procedures that were learned in the classroom sessions."

My PADI books are in the attic and I am too lazy to go up there and look up their standards right now.

Rick Murchison does most of the Nitrox training - both basic and advanced - and he requires dives. I think that the main objective of taking continuing education courses is to learn more and better ways to dive and to improve your overall diving skills. I guess the question that I would ask is, "Why would you take a diving course and not want to dive?"

I received my nitrox card thru TDI; no checkout dives required. In addition the the physiology, math, tables, etc., we were hands on trained in the use of an analyzer while still in class. I built an Oxycheq El Cheapo a few weeks later. I don't feel a checkout dive would have added anything to my training, but, I guess it would have been nice to get wet with different set group of divers.

Big deal whopdee do. Treat us like grown ups? No! Yes, I try to use my lungs in a completely different fashion when breathing air versus Nitrox. It's so confusing.

dscheck:

Again WHAT IN WATER SKILLS DO YOU EXPECT A REC NITROX CLASS TO TEACH YOU

Heliox and trimix arguments are moot.

1>You ready to do a gas shutdown and switch? Want to get in the water without an instructor for that?
2>Are your buoyancy skills up to par enough to pull off an advanced deco dive (buoyancy among other things)
3>Are you prepared for the thermal issues associated with helium based blends?
4>Can you pull off all of the above while carrying stage tanks, travel gas, and bottom mixes? Can you switch between them quickly without killing yourself?

Rec nitrox is largely planning. You carry one bottle (typically) and you have no gas switching. You've essentially replaced that air bottle on your back with a nitrox one.

You're taught MOD, Po2 restrictions, analysis procedures (which are demonstrated), and extensive planning.

What are you gaining from diving under your instuctor's eyes but comfort?

You want to take a nitrox course that includes dives? Fine, do it. Enjoy the dives.
Good on ya.

But don't bash others for their opinions on the subject and try to play games with gasses you don't understand to prove your point.

If you're uncomfortable diving nitrox for the first few times without an instructor, then dont take the courses that don't offer dives. Thats a wise choice if that fits you

ScubaSixString:
Again WHAT IN WATER SKILLS DO YOU EXPECT A REC NITROX CLASS TO TEACH YOU

Now that sounds really arrogant from someone who just days ago (8/11/05)posted:

ScubaSixString:
Hi all. Just signed up for my Nitrox class. A bit suprised that there is no in water work (not real suprised, just a little) and that the class lasts one night

And particularly since later in the thread you posted:
ScubaSixString:
Wow. This thread certainly got long. I see the point that diving nitrox under supervision of someone who knows what they're doing does make sense.

I am starting to wonder, do you just regurgitate what you read here and instantly become an expert?

PS, good luck on finishing your AOW. You will need to dive to do that.

nauidiver2004:
Now that sounds really arrogant from someone who just days ago (8/11/05)posted:

And particularly since later in the thread you posted:

I am starting to wonder, do you just regurgitate what you read here and instantly become an expert?

PS, good luck on finishing your AOW. You will need to dive to do that.

Well its nice to see i've caught your eye. Since you've been following me around from thread to thread posting but adding nothing.

I don't have a problem with his question. I obviously had the same one. I have a problem with the attitude behind it.

"I find this unbelievable (although i know nothing)" I'm shocked...etc...

Arrogant? hardly. It was an honest question. What in water skills is he expecting to be taught in a rec nitrox course?

Or are you just pissed at me for some reason? I assure you it wasn't me who ran over your dog, threw a baseball through your window, keyed your car or whatever your problem is.

Since you took the time to post crap, why not address HIS question rather than trying to attack me?

But then that might make you look less like a troll....

Good day.

Back
Top Bottom