How about this?? Nitrox c-card without a single checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uhh.. err.. if you can breath air.. you can like breath nitrox, no?

Its not like the theory is all that challangeing.

Why is this so unbelievable? A lot of places will offer a Nitrox course with the dives as optional. What needs to be demonstrated in the water for this course?

Are you nitrox certified? If so, I'm suprised you would ask that question. I think agencies figure if you are certified you should be able to follow some additional simple instructions and watch your depth.

What would you expect an instructor to do? They've passed the math/table homework. Sould an instructor follow them to make sure they don't exceed depth/time limits and then fail them?

I don't think people fail on the diving portion of the nitrox cert... It's mostly the math/knowledge reviews as far as PADI is concerned...

In a practical sense, you really don't have to do a dive to understand how to use nitrox, or obviously to breathe it. You just inhale.

However, on our nitrox checkout dives, we were given assistance with using the analyzer to analyze our mix. My wife, who isn't as technically inclined as I am, and needed help with the mix analysis at first.

There are important things to learn about nitrox, like MOD, and understanding the PPO2, and what it can do to your body. Everyone is different. Someone can have an adverse reaction at only 1.2 ppo2, whereas someone else can deal with 1.6 (not recommended).

I know that PADI requires the dives for the cert. Is it a way to help the dive shop make some more money? Who knows?

There is nothing wrong with being cautious and/or overly safe, when you ARE taking your life in your own hands every time you dive.

In my opinion, I don't think requiste dives are necessary for a nitrox certification.
The only difference is that there is a different table used for planning the dive.
To me, it tanamount to a basic OW diver planning a second dive.

I never realized that it was necessary to have someone watch over me on a dive because the air that I was breathing contained 11% more oxygen than the air I normally breathed, especially since the two dives were only 10 minutes long, each.

My goodness, what level of PPO must have I attained ?!?!?!?!?!?

I do not see why you have to have someone watch your dives. Making sure you can analyze your gasses and set your nitrox computer are a good idea, But my nitrox dives were also my peak performance buoyancy dives....

dscheck:

Looks ok to me. Nitrox at the basic level is incredibly simple and without the expensive rip off of 1 or 2 dives to prove you can breathe through a reg.

Basic nitrox diving is absolutely no different to normal air diving - its only theory. Id like to see more courses ditch the rip off extras. That said, a proper controlled theory exam is needed to ensure transfer of knowledge and understanding.

Also wasnt this done to death on here last month....

Back
Top Bottom