Hot Water Shower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to know if anyone has made there own hot water system for their boat? I could post this in the DIY section, but it is more directed to boat owners. I would like to set up a wash down with hot water for post dive enjoyment.

Never made one,but I want the same thing.Sportchalet carries a portable water heater shower combo that runs off the small propane bottles.never used it but it looks like it would work,i think it was in the $180 range.I think westmarine carries one also.my boat is only 21' thats why I want a portable unit. Hope it helps, i know its not building one but its a whole lot easier.

I'm thinking of a standard size thermal cooler that I can fill with hot water and hook up a 12v on demand water pump. I just need to check and see if the pump has any problems with hot water.

Check out this link from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...og/item-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

Long link but should work. This is what I use on my boat. I would not use one of the propane systems to make hot water while on your boat. Open flame on a boat is bad news in my opinion. This pump works really well. For a container go to Wal-Mart. They have a 6 gallon plastic tank with an opening large enough to take the pump referenced above. The water will not be hot but if you leave the tank in the sun while you are diving it will be warm. At least warmer than the water you were diving in so it will be a nice rinse off.

--Matt

Simple solution & it works. Get a 2-3 gal sprayer and paint it black, leave it set in the sun on way to dive site and during dive. Pump it up and you have a warm shower that only uses a small amount of water so more than one can shower.
Have used this system on our boat for a number of years and works great.

I know of a couple of people who tap into the engine and take hot water off of it. Not sure where they tap into, maybe into a petcock on the side of the block. Of course the engine needs to be running. Al

2Dive4fun:
I wanted to know if anyone has made there own hot water system for their boat? I could post this in the DIY section, but it is more directed to boat owners. I would like to set up a wash down with hot water for post dive enjoyment.

There are hot water showers used by water skiers for the the purpose you have mentioned. If you have an inboard or in/out you should be able to have one installed relatively cheap. $250-400 They work great for warming up after a dive. I also have a heater in my wakeboarding boat. Call your local inboard dealer (Malibu, Nautique, Tige, MasterCraft, etc...) and they can fix you up.

2Dive4fun:

If you want to wash down after a dive, it is important the water not be above normal body temperature, infact probably a few degrees cooler.. exposing the body to a sudden rise in temperature can cause DCI

Just think of a soda bottle, when its cold it doesn't fizz as hard when opening it up as opposed to when its cold.. cold liquids allow a greater volume of gases to dissolve within them..

Do you have inboard or outboard motors?

If you have an inboard, you can get a "heat exhanger" that you can run your engines coolant water pipe through that will heat the water. You can also get a marine water heater that is electric and also has plumbing for attaching to the engines coolant plumbing so that the water heater itself will work as a heat exchanger. This is the best method is that way you can have hot water at the dock also when plugged into shore power.

Only thing about this system is that the water is VERY HOT. To take care of this issue, you just turn on the hot water a "little" and the cold water "a lot".

The other great thing about this system is that you won't ever run out of hot water. You can even run a recessed shower system to the stern of the boat for wash downs on the swim platform with warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom