Hot Water Shower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:

My earlier post shoud have read "can cause increased risk of DCI, not cause DCI"

There is no solid data either way, but rapidly warming the body can change blood circulation patterns rapidly.. While your body is cooling it reduce blood flow to the extremeties..

The above post was meant as a be aware of the posssibility.. How "loaded" you are, overall health and how much your circulation has been altered..

I have seen 1 case of Possible "skin bends" that may be atributed to this.. The person did not need treatment but had several discolored (black and blue) patches of skin.. The person was pretty chilled (even knowing the possible effects) and quickly took a hot shower to warm up.. it didn't take long for the blotches to show.. This was a long decompression dive with proper gases not a recreational dive.. its nothing conclusive but I rather not take any chances..

An onboard hot water system on my boat would be awesome, but there's no feasible way of doing it so I live with the Solar Showers. They're great but just alittle awkward to handle sometimes especially the 6-gallon jobs. Plus you have to remember to fill it early in the morning.
They have a little 12-volt pump so you can leave the thing on deck. Never tried ot - not sure it would last that long on a boat. I just load mine on the T-top on a rocket launcher. I squeeze it so everyone else gets some good pressure, but I'm ususally the only gorilla on the boat so it doesn't help me.
Inboards can run a line off the heat exchanger into a storage bladder with an accumulator. The problem here is that the water can actually be too hot - I've seen people do the Holy Hop of the Burnt Nads when they just stuck the hose in their wetsuit, flipped it open, and forgot about the lack of a thermostat on the hot water line. Ouch!
For years in Hawaii on my small charter boat, I used the Solar Showers. Everyone loved them, and in Hawaii, they got nice and toasty. Sheer bliss after a dive. Southern Florida takes longer to heat up. I've never seen bends from one of them, so I guess between showering with hot water after a dive and overpumping my tanks, I'm just another Dead Man Diving.

Tom Winters:
The problem here is that the water can actually be too hot - I've seen people do the Holy Hop of the Burnt Nads when they just stuck the hose in their wetsuit, flipped it open, and forgot about the lack of a thermostat on the hot water line.

Any video? :D

saintsfan:
Never made one,but I want the same thing.Sportchalet carries a portable water heater shower combo that runs off the small propane bottles.never used it but it looks like it would work,i think it was in the $180 range.I think westmarine carries one also.my boat is only 21' thats why I want a portable unit. Hope it helps, i know its not building one but its a whole lot easier.

As a general point: Propane on a boat = very bad idea. Propane is heavier than air, any leaks and the boat fills up with gas. Now all you need is a spark........

Regards,

Tobin

I use a plastic 55 gallon drum painted black set up on the fly bridge for divers when I have lots of company aboard to supplement the onboard fresh water system in the head/shower. Using a standard shut off valve with a hose and using gravity feed down to the cockpit works well, and is very cheep easy to put together.

Because I live in Seattle where the sun never shines......

I purchased a ice chest, marine grade 5 day ..., from West marine. It has a screw cap drain with the same thread and size of a garden hose. I also picked up a washdown on demand 12 volt water pump. I will rig the pump with a quick conect hose to the cooler and hose with sprey nozel on the presure side. Now all I have to do is fill the cooler in the morning befor I head out for a dive and the water will stay nice and warm all day. It is portable, so I can place it in the back of my Dodge truck for the shore dives or in the boat. I will let you know how it works next weekend.

Scott

Tom Winters:
An onboard hot water system on my boat would be awesome, but there's no feasible way of doing it so I live with the Solar Showers. They're great but just alittle awkward to handle sometimes especially the 6-gallon jobs. Plus you have to remember to fill it early in the morning.

I also use the solar showers.....but....I have a little alcohol stove on the boat, so if I need to I just heat up some hot water on the stove and mix it in with the water in the solar shower to warm it up. For the amount of times I need to take a warm shower on the boat it suits the purpose just fine, plus no extra heaters or anything else needed. Cheap and easy.

John C.

Back
Top Bottom