Hoses for Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zapnyc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm wondering what hose types people are using for tec diving - helium, blends over 40% oxygen, etc. At the moment I'm using Miflex hoses for Air and Nitrox but it seems these are only rated for up to 40% oxygen. Not interested in length discussions, just materials and brands.

I use rubber hoses for everything. I usually order them from DGX but I have Atomics Hogs and generic hoses on different regs. I make sure my Deco regs stay clean but other than that nothing special.

pressure inside of the LP hoses does not get high enough to have to worry about being O2 clean or not. I don't O2 clean any of my second stages, including the ones used with 100% O2. I prefer rubber hoses to braided, but it really doesn't matter which ones you choose. Shop around online, Cave Adventurers and Dive Gear Express usually have the best prices on hoses

I prefer rubber to braided, but as has been mentioned, there's not O2 handling requirement, so it's sort of a personal preference thing. Go with whatever you can get the best deal on.

I personally do not like nylon/miflex hoses...and I know quite a few very well regarded technical divers who share that opinion.

My main reason for not using them is because I was present when they caused a simultaneous double-hose failure for a technical diver (I had to perform air donation for his ascent).

The incident and issue is outlined in my report below:

Nylon-Braided Regulator Hose Diving Emergency

The report caused a lot of interest.... and,upon (destructive) inspection, other divers/centers also reported finding similar deterioration inside braided hoses. The deterioration is rarely diagnoseable externally - you have to dissect the hose to identify it. DAN are now conducting an inquiry into nylon braided hose failures:

Divers Alert Network South Africa - Newsflash! Low Pressure Hose Deterioration

I also find the nylon braided hose has less 'grip' for hog looping the torso/neck. It's wayward.

Diving in the tropics.... nylon braided is also a torture method if you've caught a little too much sun on the back of your neck...

Last edited:
Like the other posters, I prefer rubber hoses to braided ones. As for cleaning them, I just use whatever hose I have lying around without cleaning them for higher oxygen content. I've found either DGX or Piranha have the cheapest prices on hoses.

I dive doubles and use a braided hose for my bc inflator. All other hoses are rubber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom