Hoseless computer problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to direct that directly at you, although I admit you're going to get caught in the crossfire.

I think Air2's are unsafe. Imagine, you're at 110 feet in a murky, low visibility situation and someone rips your regulator out. They're panicking, and kicking for the surface. You now have to control your depth and your bouyancy, both with your left hand. In addition, it doesn't breath as nice as your main regulator, causing undue stress as well. I'm assuming your main regulator is probably not on a long hose (I understand 'assumptions', agreed) but now he's panicking and in an awkward swimming position because he has to turn around to face you.

Now, what happens if your transmitter conks out now? Assuming you manage to calm down your buddy, and do a controlled ascent nice and slow to the surface, what happens when you get to 15 feet? Do you have enough air for a full safety stop? You don't know, because your buddy is breathing like a hoover and you don't know how much pressure you have left. Plus, you're breathing heavier due to the increased stress and the increased breathing resistance.

I don't like Air2's. I believe they fix a problem which doesn't exist.

Incidentally, I also don't like cheap POS octopuses either - I dive an ATX50 with an ATX 50 second stage. Two identical, high quality second stages. And I wouldn't like diving a hoseless transmitter without a backup SPG clipped to my left D-Ring.

In the event of a gear failure, say, a blown hose, I have redundancies. On the other hand, if you blow a hose, I hope you took a shovel down with you just to save the undertake the extra work.

Overly dramatic? Maybe. I'll admit it. And I mean no personal disrespect to you. But I stand by my point.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
...You now have to control your depth and your bouyancy, both with your left hand....

Not a problem. I used the Air2 during my OW and AOW. The training we did specifically states that arms should be locked between buddies in an emergency ascent. I performed this without a problem using the Air2 and was able to control bouancy. The buttons are clearly marked and I'm so accustomed to it that I never have inadvertantly pushed the wrong button either.

In addition, it doesn't breath as nice as your main regulator, causing undue stress as well. [/B]

I tried breathing off it at 101 ft. Worked great and wasn't difficult to use at all. I was worried about this when I bought it but would serve it's purpose in a emergency. No stress...no problem.

I'm assuming your main regulator is probably not on a long hose (I understand 'assumptions', agreed) but now he's panicking and in an awkward swimming position because he has to turn around to face you[/B]

Again, my training states that buddies in a emergency ascent lock arms. The hose doesn't need to be longer.

I don't like Air2's. I believe they fix a problem which doesn't exist[/B]

You're entitled to your opinion...but when you're searching for your octo by grabbing the back of your tank or leaning your tank to get to it, I just grab at my chest. No stress, it's always there, I'm a happy camper.

...what happens when you get to 15 feet? Do you have enough air for a full safety stop?...[/B]

I'm at 15 feet...if I can't do a full stop because their isn't any air left what do you think would happen? We'd surface. If my gauge is blown, it's blown. I have a depth gauge on my watch and if we couldn't breath off the regs we'd surface exhaling on the way up from 15 feet. What do you suggest Spare-Air? No thanks..used it didn't like it.

On the other hand, if you blow a hose, I hope you took a shovel down with you just to save the undertake the extra work[/B]

You're assumming again. My redundacy is my Air2. My primary is a Legend LX. They are on seperate hoses so your argument doesn't fly. Besides that while many are draggin their octos along the floor (I've seen it all the time), I don't have this problem. Lastly, my buddy liked the Air2 so much he bought one himself after the training we did.

If they are so unsafe then I'd like to see that all of them are recalled by the manufacturers. We see it with other equipment (computers). I'd expect the same thing.
If you don't like it...don't use it. But I suggest anyone that is curious about any equipment to try it out. I love it (so does my buddy) and like I said, I've gotten numerous compliments from people once they see me with the Air2.

Safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom