Hoseless computer problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roncone

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just happened upond this group and it looks terrific!

I have been diving with the Oceanic Data Trans Plus since 1998, and have had occasional signal interruption while diving, usually fixed by reorienting myself. I have replaced the batteries, had the computer and transmitter replaced but can't seem to resolve the problem. After my first experience on a DPV scooter last month (when the transmission signal would be interfered with everytime the motor was running), I decided that enough was enough. I was assured by my LDS that the hoseless Vytek would give me no such problem. I had heard nothing but good things about the Suunto, so I bought it.

The dealer was right... I never get signal interruptions... but I get the occasional erroneous pressure reading (I had about 600 psi in my tank at a safety stop and I read 2800 for about 10 secs, until it corrected itself!!). I ended up getting 2 such errors over my week-long dive trip. I would rather have interruptions then false readings!

I have 2 questions:

1. For those of you going hoseless, what do you have as backup system (if any) and does it really pay to go hoseless if you don't get the benefit of eliminating the extra hose due to the need for a backup gauge??

2. Has anyone else with the Vytek hoseless had similar problems?

Ron

About the best backup you could have, IMHO, would be a short hose SPG ala DIR. This gives you an analog backup, but doesn't mess up the streamlined configuration that you have with a hoseless. I have a compact SPG (Scubapro, Mares, Dacor, etc. make one) that I've been meaning to get on a shorter hose and clip underneath my left arm. If I want to spot check the computer, it's there, but otherwise, it's unlikely to get in my way.. If you have a 2 HP reg and your computer is on your right wrist, the transmitter is probably on the right side as well, so the left side HP should be free for an SPG...

I have a VT Pro, and I haven't had transmitter/receiver problems (other than an erroneous depth problem that hasn't reappeared).

Thank you.

That's the best idea I've heard so far.
I do have a 2 HP first stage. Funnily enough, I have my Suunto transmitter on one of them, and my Oceanic transmitter on the other, and neither is 100% reliable.

I will pick up a SPG tomorrow and keep it on a short hose like you suggest. Now, if only I could decide which of the 2 computers to turf...:confused:

Ron

with the Suunto transmitter and Vytec. Zero.

Probably 50 dives on the combination now, and the only glitch I've had is a reproducable one on the SURFACE, which is "stupid operator error", and the work-around is actually documented for it (just catch it before going in on the next dive!)

Thanks.

I have gotten similar feedback (seamless functioning) from others who have the Vytek. My LDS will be taking the unit in and I'll hopefully get a replacement.

Ron

I used to dive the Cochran Nemesis II A and had exactly t he same problems as your Oceanic. I have a friend that has the same Oceanic you had. He had the same problems also. He ended up putting it on a retractor on his BC near his chest and it never failed him again.

Glad the Suunto is for the most part working. I had a sunnto for 6 yrs. and loved it. That is a major flaw about the PSI reading though. Maybe think about a pony gauge in the first stage just in case there is an unlikely event to happen like a false reading.

The only other option might be to do away with the hoseless.

I just receintly purchased a Aeris ATMOS ELITE hoseless because my 10 year old Dacor Omni-Pro died. Several dives have been made and so far not one problem has surfaced. This computer is so new that I haven't found any reviews on the net. I have been told that the manufacturer has been trying to correct the signal loss problem and this computer is the result. The computer has a nice layout but the wrist band is so large it must have been made for a gorrilla.

You're probably OK, rmweber. I seem to remember getting signal losses at some point on every dive (with no change in my arm positioning). It soulds like they might have it ironed out.

However, I still think its a good idea to follow the advice of Cincy and Purdu and set up a backup analog SPG on a 2nd HP port and stow it out of the way.

Ya just never know!

Ron

My Vytec hasn't given me any problems during the 40 or so
dives I did with it. I absolutely love the fact that I only need
to glance at my wrist to get all the information I need!

But I do not completely trust the hoseless link (seen far too
many Oceanic Datatrans transmitters run out of battery without
warning) so I have a SPG on a short hose clipped to my BC.
When I'm assisting with classes, I won't have to abort (possibly disrupting the whole class) just because my hoseless link
decides to act up.

I never notice the SPG while diving, unless it's needed.

For real ease, Aeris sells a small SPG, about the size of a Quarter, that screws directly into a HP port. You can't see it yourself but a buddy can confirm cyl pressure for you. Although SPG on a short hose would be more comforting!

Back
Top Bottom