Hoseless computer problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if you set up the small quarter-sized SPG and rigged a rear-view mirror system so you could check it?

:)

That would rock!

:)

I've logged over 50 dives with it and had only one minor glitch. Seems that during one of my dives it started counting down minutes left 10-9-8-7...until it reached 0 with 1250 p.s.i left in the tank. Then it showed the correct minutes left. I do photography and had never had a probelm with strobe lights although this might have caused the "glitch" albeit momentarily. After this, I never experienced this again although I continue to take pictures underwater.
For a backup I use a Citizen Eco-Drive Diver's watch as a depth gauge. If my Vytec is not showing the correct p.s.i, my thinking is that I've just aborted a dive regardless if I'm diving for 2 minutes or 45 minutes. My concern is that I complete my safety stops. the Citizen works perfectly and I don't have to have another hose dangling with gauges.
When I was looking into buying equipment I definitely wanted to have the sleekest stuff. I basically only have 1 hose...going to my regulator and have an Alternate Air attached to my BCD. I've recieved compliments on how streamlined my equipment looks.
Lastly, the only "issue" I have is reviewing dive data on the Vytec as well as other computers I've looked into. I was able to work around this by making an interface between my Vytec and Palm which transfers my dive log data that I can review. I like the fact that it can graphically show me each dive as well as show my SAC rate.

Check out my web site for more details if you like.

I've logged over 50 dives with it and had only one minor glitch. Seems that during one of my dives it started counting down minutes left 10-9-8-7...until it reached 0 with 1250 p.s.i left in the tank. Then it showed the correct minutes left. I do photography and had never had a probelm with strobe lights although this might have caused the "glitch" albeit momentarily. After this, I never experienced this again although I continue to take pictures underwater.

and blew your time down :)

Seriously, what happens is that the Suunto's "air time" computation is extremely aggressive on reducing available time when it detects high deltas on the gas pressure.

Basically, it assumes that you are under heavy respiratory demand due to a problem, and that its better to understate "dwell time" than overstate it under that circumstance. So it recomputes "remaining time" at the "huff and puff" rate, and bang - you show zero time left. A long blast of air into the BC or a freeflow can do this too.

If the demand is actually momentary, in a half-minute or so it will see the back-to-normal air consumption rate, and the air time will go back to its normal display value.....

I've run into it a few times while unsticking the anchor at the end of a dive myself, and unless you understand what's going on it can definitely get your attention! :)

Genesis once bubbled...

Seriously, what happens is that the Suunto's "air time" computation is extremely aggressive on reducing available time when it detects high deltas on the gas pressure.

Even better. Thanks for the heads-up. Thinking back this makes more sense since I was doing photography and trying to catch up with the group ahead. I don't remeber reading about this in the manual and I've read and re-read it numerous times.
When it happened I actually chuckled to myself since I knew that I had plenty of air left. Your explanation makes more sense and answered my concern.

I guess I have to renig my previous post and say "I have not experienced any problems with my Vytec".

One point that I've read and want to point out is that some people have mentioned in the past that they experienced problems with the Vytec briefly losing signal due to strobe lights. This has never happened to me. I was concerened when I was in Palau on a night dive and it seemed like a Rock concert with all the strobes flashing around me. Some of the folks I dived with took their photography seriously and I wasn't worried for a moment about losing anyone...hell, I was worried about getting burned form the strobe lights wondering if I should have put on some SPF for the night dive :D

I couldn't agree more with the argument for sleekness. Nothing like fewer hoses.

My old DataTrans used to lose the signal now and again and I always felt that if I lose tank pressure info, then the dive should be aborted and then who needs tank pressure anyway -- depth info should suffice for a safe ascent.

The problem arises when the gauge (in my case the Vytec) is displaying untrue pressure readings (happened twice for me last week). How can one be certain if the instrument has failed, or if the initial reading was fully accurate when the tank valve was turned on in the first place. If it fails at depth, it would also be nice to know how long I can afford to hang at the safety stop or whether I need to grab my buddy's alternate right away. An SPG backup would provide the missing info.

Having said all of that, with a SPG backup present, a failed signal doesn't mean that the dive has to be aborted, as long as the computer is still functioning properly.

I'm all for sleekness but not at the expense of safety. I have had too many signal problems with 4 different transmitter units from 2 companies.

My 2 cents worth.

Ron

with the Vytec displaying "bad" pressure readings.

OK, ok, it goes out of range on the surface if I leave the tank and reg on the boat deck and go take a leak in the head :) But that shows "FAIL" :)

Genesis once bubbled...
with the Vytec displaying "bad" pressure readings.

OK, ok, it goes out of range on the surface if I leave the tank and reg on the boat deck and go take a leak in the head :) But that shows "FAIL" :)

I agree with Genesis...this has happened to me, but I get a reading shortly after I come close to the transmitter again.

Questions for Roncone...
Is anyone else diving with you using a Vytec? Could be crossed signals if you are on the same frequency. Other than that I suggest you take it back and have it looked at.

When you returned the unit did you return both the transmitter and computer or just one?
The reason I'm asking is that if you just returned the transmitter and not the computer...it might be the problem... or vice-versa. Again, I haven't seen "inaccurate" pressure readings on my vytec so I'm just trying to help out.
Also, is the O -ring on the trnasmitter "good"?...you probably already checked it, and I might be reaching, but if you have a leak it might send inaccurate readings to your computer.
Lastly, try to swap it onto another HP port as an added precaution. Having 2 computers from 2 manufactureres go out...try to figure out what's the common denominator.

Mars:

Thank you for your suggestions. To answer your questions:

I am aware of the "FAIL" reading when the transmitter shuts down on the surface after 5 minutes, etc... That is supposed to happen.

I was diving near other Vytecs, but these divers were not hoseless.

I did check the transmitter seal and I did flip HP ports too. The trouble is that the problem only happened twice over about 10 diving hours, so it is difficult to know where the problem is.

My other transmitter never "went out". I just would occasionally lose the signal, which was a very common problem for the Oceanic transmiter for many divers. I get a little more stressed out when I see my tank reading a few hundred psi 15 minutes into a dive.

I do have to say that I am very happy receiving all of this positive feedback, as I am reassured that I am dealing with a flaw in my own piece of equipment, as opposed to a design flaw.

It (both components) will be in the shop tomorrow.

Ron

I absolutely refuse to believe that streamlined down to a single hose is a good thing.

Air2's make me shudder. Heck - I have an idea - you could go down to zero hoses just by holstering a six-pack of "Spare-Air's".

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I absolutely refuse to believe that streamlined down to a single hose is a good thing.

Air2's make me shudder. Heck - I have an idea - you could go down to zero hoses just by holstering a six-pack of "Spare-Air's".

Just some advice...don't assume... you know the acronym. I never assummed anything when I put my gear together. Secondly, my system works great FOR ME. I researched and evaluated the products and obviously it's not for everyone as your comment attests...but neither is diving dry-suits, TEC diving as well as DIR, PADI, NAUI...etc. However, I've gotten alot of great feedback and compliments and I've never had any issues. I always find it interesting when people spout off about equipment that many others use successfully without giving any reasons to why they disagree. If Air2's make you shudder wear a sweater...lol

Lastly, just because you don't like a piece of equipment doesn't make it unsafe regardless of your philosophy.

If you do the Spare-Air thing and like it, let us know if it works for you...better yet, go free-diving, and yes I know you were being sarcastic.

Back
Top Bottom