Hose Routing Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha. Yeah...

I like some of the concepts and configurations. But, don't feel the least bit bad about deviating away from it. DIR is not compatible with all types of diving. And if there's a better way, I'm going to use it.
You are implying an AIR2 is a better way? I hope you have practiced with it, especially while ascending with someone else on your primary, and that your primary is not on the standard short hose.

This whole long-hose issue for open water diving seems silly to me. I don't know if any of you supporters have ever found yourself in an actual emergency air-sharing situation, but I have, and I can tell you that the LAST thing you want is to have some spooked, near-paniced person flailing about on the end of a hose that's attached to you.

Maintaining control of the situation is critical and to that end, being able to hold that person's harness and look them in the eye to reassure them is critical. A long hose in open water provides no benefit what so ever, and IMHO, actually creates a potentially MORE dangerous situation. Odds are, you will never find yourself in such a situation, but in the mean time, all you will do is spend the rest of your diving life tripping over an extraneous length of hose...

In overhead environments, it's a great idea that could make the difference in a successful outcome.

Last edited:
This whole long-hose issue for open water diving seems silly to me. I don't know if any of you supporters have ever found you in an actual air sharing situation, but I have, and I can tell you that the LAST thing you want is to have some spooked person flailing about on the end of a hose that's attached to you.

Maintaining control of the situation is critical and to that end, being able to hold that person's harness and look them in the eye to reassure them is critical. A long hose in open water provides no benefit what so ever, and IMHO, actually creates a potentially MORE dangerous situation. Odds are, you will never find yourself in such a situation, but in the mean time, all you will do is spend the rest of your diving life tripping over an extraneous length of hose...

In overhead environments, it's a great idea that could make the difference in a successful outcome.
I agree completely, but would define "long" as 5 ft plus. 36-40 inches is not "long," so long as it goes under your arm and not over your shoulder.

Yes, but like I said, for certain types of diving and gear configurations.
And do you discuss your gear config with buddies before a dive?

I agree completely, but would define "long" as 5 ft plus. 36-40 inches is not "long," so long as it goes under your arm and not over your shoulder.

No argument. I dive doubles, so my secondary reg hose needs to be longer to reach around from my left post, but it's only 36" I think...

And do you discuss your gear config with buddies before a dive?

Of course, if I'm diving with a buddy we go over air sharing procedures and weight placement.

My setup is pretty simple. Similar to the streamlined open water configuration. If I'm buddy diving, primary is on a swivel and 40" hose under my right arm. 5th gen Air2 (Breaths very well which I attribute to the dive/pre-dive adjustment switch) as my alternate. Primary gets donated or taken.

If I'm solo diving, same setup, but I'll use my back mounted pony. Second stage on a swivel and 30" hose under my arm and necklaced.

The majority of my diving is fishing and I require the front of my body to be free and clear of any obstructions. If I'm not fishing and I believe the dive calls for a pony, I would just sling the pony.

If anyone can think of a better way to meet my needs, I'm all ears, but I've yet to hear one.

This whole long-hose issue for open water diving seems silly to me. I don't know if any of you supporters have ever found yourself in an actual emergency air-sharing situation, but I have, and I can tell you that the LAST thing you want is to have some spooked, near-paniced person flailing about on the end of a hose that's attached to you.

So you honestly believe that the environment you are in has an influence on someone panicking, and that one is soothed by the idea of being in a cave when running out of air and hence won't panic? May I suggest there's something very wrong with the guys you're training if that's the case?

Back
Top Bottom