Hose Routing Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Some of the hoses on my reg set are in need of replacement and I am thinking about using this opportunity to make some changes and could use some advice.

I am currently diving with the standard length hoses that came with my regs in the regular OW set up. I dive a back mounted single tank with a bp/w. I currently don't do anything beside OW dives with maybe a swim through or two.

That being said I am considering changing to a long hose & bungeed back up because it seems like a good system that makes sense regardless of the type of diving. So after looking at some of the options out there I am wondering which length hose I should use for my primary based on my diving.

Would you recommend a full 7' hose (I know this the standard for those diving in overhead environments), a 5-6' hose (I read that this can be easier to manage in OW where you don't need the full 7'), or a 40" hose with a swivel so it can be routed under the arm?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian

I usually dive a bp/w and long hose, 7'. Usually singles with H valves, occasionally backmounted doubles.

I also have another regulator setup with a 40" hose and a 70 degree elbow. I use it on shallow dives.

It is my experience that the 7' long hose is a minor nuisance when gearing up and when handling regs on the surface. When gearing up the hose must be routed properly, tucked under the waist belt, and twisted so it will lay flat. This has to be done with all gear on including weights. If not done properly the hose can come loose when entering the water at which point it becomes an (admittedly minor) problem to be solved.

7' hose is ideal for air shares and also for any situation where you have to remove your kit. Tradeoff is up to you, I make it on a dive-by-dive basis.

I would do the 40" for you main secondary on a 90* swivel and a shorter 22" for your bungeed second. On DGX that is considered the "streamlined" package.

I would also recommend discussing it with your dive buddy (assuming you have a 'fixed' one); I considered a long hose setup, but I'm sticking to a 'standard' system for now, because that's what we're both familiar with, we both have, and since we don't do any even remotely tech-y dives, it's fine for now. I do have a slightly shorter primary hose to minimise slack.

Imo, go for the long hose... I'd use a 7', but I dive sidemount so I have to say I'm unsure how well it'd work for me on a BPW, but probably just fine.
You could look for the slightly shorter ones, but I'd say it's better to stow away a little bit of the hose in the waist belt than to have the loop dangling.

I dive the 40" configuration and like it. I started out with a 60" and hated it because it's not long enough to secure the hose in my waist belt. Consequently the hose will have a tendency to want to come back over your head, especially if you're using a swivel. I'd go with 40" or 7'.

I've got two identical reg sets that have 40" and a swivel on the primary. Had one let go on our SI right after receiving a full service from the LDS. No damage to the o-ring so it was a little silicon grease, re-assembly, and back in business. That being said, you can get a fixed 120 degree (which is where the swivel ends up anyways) and have one less failure point. +1 on the necklaced octo

I don't like 5' hoses, others do. I find them very annoying. I'm very long waisted so a 7' is actually too short for me with a properly fitting backplate unless it has a swivel on it, so I dive a 7' hose with an omni swivel. I do this for one main reason and that is because I dive independent doubles. At times I may need/want to make a regulator swap to my left bottle and having the long hose able to hang from my neck is advantageous. For normal doubles or single tanks in open water I prefer a 36-40" hose with a swivel of some sort. I prefer the ball swivels to the angle adapters. Click on the Cave Adventurers link in my signature and give them a buzz. They have hose pricing that is as good as anyone and their ball swivels are very cheap.

I started off my last trip, single tank recreational dives, with a 5' hose, but after a couple of days of it rubbing the back of my neck, switched it out for the 7' back up I had brought along. It got me some funny looks on the boat, but was much more comfortable and stayed tucked firmly in place in the waist belt, even without a can light to tuck it under.

Last edited:
I dive a 40" miflex hose and 90 degree elbow attached to a biofilter and 6" miflex hose. The whole setup measures right at 50" from the first stage. It works well for me slung under my arm. Without the 6" hose it would catch occasionally at my waist and I was always worried about someone using the biofilter as a handle.
During my safety stop i will switch to my necklaced octo then attach the long hose to a d-ring with a bolt snap. That way I can just spit the reg out as I climb out of the water and not worry about banging the second stage around.

Back
Top Bottom