Hose for Hog Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daxter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am swicthing over to a Hog set-up and need help. Just got my new DSS BP/W. Should I use a 7', 6' or 5' foot hose? Right now I am only diving single alum 80's and don't have a can light. From searching the board 5' seems that it might be a liitle to tight and a 7' seems like there might be to much hose even to tuck in the harness. 6' might be just right but will I regret it later?

Thanks for any thoughts or info.

Tom

You might want to consider a 40" hose as well.

This also depends on how tall/big you are. I'm 5'7" and find that a 5' hose is perfect for me if it's OW, single tank, no canister light, and don't want to tuck into harness. However, even though routing is great with a shorter hose, I typically dive with a 7' hose and just tuck.

If you worry about regretting your decision, then go with a 7'. If you want to try to optimize, then you can definitely try a 6'. It's ~$30, and not cost prohibitive to try.

btw, congrats on your DSS bp/w.

I am swicthing over to a Hog set-up and need help. Just got my new DSS BP/W. Should I use a 7', 6' or 5' foot hose? Right now I am only diving single alum 80's and don't have a can light. From searching the board 5' seems that it might be a liitle to tight and a 7' seems like there might be to much hose even to tuck in the harness. 6' might be just right but will I regret it later?

Thanks for any thoughts or info.

Tom

Hi Tom,

7 foot works well for me. I have tried it under a can light, under a knife, under a pocket on the right side, and just tucked in to the waistband and it worked fine. Don't know if you will regret it, but it is a good starting place. Have you had a chance to try out the DSS rig yet?

Hey Jason,
No just got Fri. but will be at the hole on the 15-17th. Trying to get it all set up before the trip. I will have to say between you guys and Ron it inspired myself and my brother to head in this direction :) . Are you going to be there?

Tom

Hey Jason,
No just got Fri. but will be at the hole on the 15-17th. Trying to get it all set up before the trip. I will have to say between you guys and Ron it inspired myself and my brother to head in this direction :) . Are you going to be there?

Tom

I am planning on being there. I use a 7 foot (I shouldn't be posting when I am tired, I accidentally said 6 foot but changed it), I tried a 6 foot once but had a hard time getting it to stay tucked. Looking forward to see you guys out there. Which DSS rig did you get?

I got the tours 26, SS plate with the wieght plates and Hog harness. I figured you had the 7' but then again you dive doubles, which is why I am thinking the 6' might be just right. My brother picked up the same set up he already has a 7' might see him today and have him bring up his regs. My new second stage will be in Fri.

Vald, already hace a 40" I want to go to a long hose config. ae753 I am 5' 10" tall and about 180lbs have fairly wide shoulders, so I think the 5' would be tight.

For me I dont much like to tuck unless the hose is ample in length and because I dont have pockets or a canister light (yet) I might actually go for the 9 footer but that almost seems overkill. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 7 at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom