Hose for Hog Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input I believe I will go for the 7'. Thanks again

I got the tours 26, SS plate with the wieght plates and Hog harness. I figured you had the 7' but then again you dive doubles, which is why I am thinking the 6' might be just right. My brother picked up the same set up he already has a 7' might see him today and have him bring up his regs. My new second stage will be in Fri.

Sounds like a good choice on the DSS rig, i'm sure you'll like it. Remember that you want alittle extra on the hose that will loop below the waist strap. That will keep it from coming untucked when you stretch out in the water and are swimming, twisting, looking around, etc.
When you get to try it in the water, make sure the long hose is "on top" of your other hoses so that it isn't trapped when you go to deploy it. Practice some air shares so you can get used to deploying and restowing. It is the airsharing on the longer hose that was a real lightbulb moment for me.

Ditto on that. Air sharing with the 7 foot hose is so much easier, makes much more sense and if you do get a can light later on or just have a pocket or shears on that side the 7 foot hose is not an issue. Just tucking it and then deploying over a standard octo set up was an eye opener for me as well. And I did dive with someone using a 5 footer. It worked for s drills but the 7 just seemed so much easier to deploy and doing a simulated exit out of a tight corridor was alot easier with the 7. The 5 just was too close and made the exit more stressful. And according to a paper I have from JJ and one regarding hogarthian diving in general a 7 is standard.

Hi,
I dont have very many dives under my belt yet (20) and not too many with my DSS rig (torus 26 + ss + hog and about 6 dives) but here's my opinion. I'm pushing 5' 6" 155lbs. and used a soft measuring tape to figure out that a 5' hose would be too small. I didnt like the idea of tucking excess under the belt and thus went with a 6' hose. So far its FANTASTIC (except for the part when you're setting your stuff up and you drop your reg because the hose is so long ;-) ) but in the water its perfect! Did some OOA drills with the buddy and it was awesome how much freedom she had and how easy our ascent was to control. I dont yet have the necklaced octo, but do have it running under my right arm and clipped to my right D ring, easily accessible within my "triangle". SO far I am very happy. If you feel the 7'er will be too long, try out the 6, you might just like it :14:

Thanks for all the input so far. My brother just came over with his 7' and we put together my DSS rig with his regs and it seems like it will be fine, plenty to tuck without coming out with movement, does not hang down as much as I thought it would. Can hardly wait to try it in the water.

Not the standard with a single.
In "Hogarthian" diving it is... and fancy that... we're in the Hogarthian forum!

I never liked the tuck method, so I use an inexpensive pocket on the right side when I'm not using a cannister light and it typically comes in handy for something.

A clip on the hose near the reg is a must!

5' for open water
7' for overhead

i personally use a 5' on my singles rig and find it infinately more comfortable than the 7'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom