Horrible Customer Service Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wait a second..

all this whining is over a $50 replacement bladder after the OP dropped his plate and "pinched it" ?

reading back that $50 includes installation (labor) and testing?

I'm not trying to take sides here.... but if I did that with my wing and plate, I'd be especially happy that I didn't get charged $200 plus.

I never dropped a back plate or anything on the wing.

I worry most about my wing when it is traveling in my suit case under the careful handling of airlines baggage handlers. At least in the states I can't see what is going on. In Cozumel I can see them loading and unloading that baggage cart and that is scary. My wing is the centerpiece of my packing with all else packed to provide as much protection to the wing as possible.

I would agree. The wing was packed as well as could be with clothes surrounding it.

Probably bad luck,

No doubt, it's well within ScubaDocER's skill set to know how to take care of dive gear.
I HIGHLY doubt it's about the costs involved.....just the inconvenience involved.

It does suck, I'd be frustrated about it also.

-Mitch

Tank holders on boats are prime suspects for this sort of problem. I've seen it happen several times; insert the tank in the holder, wing gets pinched between the backplate and the tank holder. Then you have not only the weight of the backplate, but also the tank and reg involved.

I'm not saying this is what happened here, but it does happen a lot, often right around the OPV. If I were in DSS's position, and the tear indicated it....I do know from experience that dive-rite, another company with a good reputation for customer service, charged a colleague for a replacement bladder when she sent them a wing with a pinch flat.

OTOH, there are some companies in certain industries, (like mountaineering equipment or tools) where the perception of reliability is paramount to sales, that will simply replace any gear for any reason, simply for the bragging rights. Of course, this is a lot tougher on a small "boutique" company than on a large more diversified company. I'm pretty sure Marmot (or some mountaineering brand) replaced a guy's sleeping bag because a bear ruined it....and then bragged about it on their website. Tough to buy that kind of advertising.

I treat my DSS wing (which I bought in 2005/6 and use regularly) like Ike with Tina... never once had an issue with it.

While I don't treat my DSS wing like Ike with Tina, it has been on many boat dives (including many rough NC six-pack boat rides) and many checked luggage trip (both international and domestic) without any issues. :D

Well in the future I will pack my BP/W in the center of my case with wetsuits, hoods, booties, clothes, and lots of insulation. Plus must be more vigilant when it goes into the holder on the boat.

Well in the future I will pack my BP/W in the center of my case with wetsuits, hoods, booties, clothes, and lots of insulation. Plus must be more vigilant when it goes into the holder on the boat.

I have seen a diver puncture a wing on the boat tank holders that grip the tank. He would sit down in front of his spot and drive his body back toward the holder as did his neighbor. Often took repeated tries to get it in. And he was surprised to find a good size tear in his wing at about the height of the arm. I don't see any problem with that type of holder but am very careful placing my rig in it. Boats that use "wells" to hold the tank are the problem. I release the cam bands and gently set the rig in the well. I guess you could stick a bootie under the bottom of the plate as a cushion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom