Horrible Customer Service Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, thank you very much for that explanation, it was very informative.

Kevin

I watch carefully when I put a tank into the holders on a boat, because it's so easy to pinch the bottom part of the wing between the plate and the bench.
This is where I see where a pinch flat could occur, sometimes after I climb into the boat after handing up my tank/BP/W, the captain or DM just drops it in the holder. When I look to see that the wing is smashed between the plate and the holder I just cringe, keep my fingers crossed that it hasn't flatted the wing.

Reactions: Jax
I asked the OP why he needed 6+ wings because I suspected that some of these wings were not being used by him. Turns out I was right

I am not sure why the number of wings I have is relevant, but I have used all but 2 of them and that is over a span of 11 years. This does not address the initial concern regarding the bladder.

Was the first bladder injury due to a pinch as well?
It was not. It was a tear at the top of the bladder. I could see it when I unzipped the wing. I could not see the injury to the second bladder.

If the problem were manufacturing defects what do you think the chances are that you would get two such defective bladders and, yet, not one else is reporting similar experiences. Talk about coincidence!!!!

I am not sure how either bladder was injured. I could see the first one. I paid to have it shipped both ways to get it repaired. I could not see the second one. It was not used until I dove with it about 2 months after I received it. It sat in my garage with not weight/tank/back plate on it. My point is that I know of nothing that I have done other than unpack it that would have caused the injury described. And after having to pay to ship it to them again in two months, and pay to get it shipped back to me again in 2 months, I question how this second incident occurred.

Just packed my DSS BP/W in my "tub" for my dives this weekend. Mask/computer bags on bottom, fins and then BP on top of that. Towel next, with wing on top of that with just enough air in it to keep just above flat. Another towel on top of that, followed by wet suit and then regs. Before I set my rig and tanks on table, ground, bench, etc., I move the wing out from the plate so I don't pinch it as I heed the caution made by Tobin about pinching the bladder when I purchased it 3 yrs ago. Still good as new. Maybe that is a bit too much, but it takes just a minute more to pack than throwing it all together. Works for me.:idk:

I've had to have 3-4 DSS bladders replaced (in about that many years). None involved me dropping a plate on them. I'm quite careful about packing them, and travel with the wings and plates separated. In each case, I'm not sure what caused the bladders to leak. I can sympathize with the OP in that it is a frustrating experience (i.e. not knowing why they are leaking). If I'd obviously dropped my plate on the wing, that'd be totally understandable. In each of my cases, I had not. We own or owned wings from other manufacturers and haven't had any such issues.

I do believe DSS has gone to a thicker inner bladder and I don't think we've had a puncture on the newer ones, so hopefully this won't happen again. It certainly does get expensive to have to replace them.

Overall, however, I've been happy with my DSS gear. For reasonably-priced, American-made, innovative dive gear, it's a very good option. Hopefully thicker bladders will help prevent others from having future issues. [Now, if DSS would just start shipping wings with real corrugated hoses... :wink:]

Up until this point Rainer I was very happy with my experiences with DSS. I expressed positive experiences with them and encouraged them to others on this board based on my experiences. It s indeed frustrating to have had this interaction not occur in a positive manner. I understand that things happen. Even after the first repair, I had no complaints, no qualms. I simply paid for the repair. It's the second occurrence that became disappointing. Especially given the lack of use of the wing. I have not dropped anything on this wing. The question then became just how many times do I need to pay $30 round trip for shipping from Atlanta in addition to the $50 for the bladder?

I am not sure how either bladder was injured. I could see the first one. I paid to have it shipped both ways to get it repaired. I could not see the second one. It was not used until I dove with it about 2 months after I received it. It sat in my garage with not weight/tank/back plate on it. My point is that I know of nothing that I have done other than unpack it that would have caused the injury described. And after having to pay to ship it to them again in two months, and pay to get it shipped back to me again in 2 months, I question how this second incident occurred.

I worry most about my wing when it is traveling in my suit case under the careful handling of airlines baggage handlers. At least in the states I can't see what is going on. In Cozumel I can see them loading and unloading that baggage cart and that is scary. My wing is the centerpiece of my packing with all else packed to provide as much protection to the wing as possible.

Agree with TSandM. Not only just dropping a plate and wing could cause a pinch, but what if the whole thing is set up and the tank falls over? Smash-pinching a wing (bladder) to a bottom corner of the plate is exactly what would happen.

As for travel - DSS' wings have little rubber connectors, not sex bolts, and the wing may easily be "popped off" to travel separately.

Lastly, what makes me lean in favor of the manufacturer, is that an educated man would put this dispute before the "Court of Internet" -- not a means of resolving the dispute, but to bad-mouth and denigrate the businessman. This is a form of blackmail.

. . . all this over $50 . . . . :hm:

Did you mean to say that an educated man would NOT put this before the court of internet? In either case, it was not my intent to denigrate anyone. People come to Scubaboard for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is to ask opinions and suggestions of other divers prior to making a decision. Sometimes the responses are positive, other times it is not. I am sharing my experience. Just as other shared theirs with me before I made my purchase. There is no black mail intended. Just my experience.

...I could not see the second one. It was not used until I dove with it about 2 months after I received it. It sat in my garage with not weight/tank/back plate on it. My point is that I know of nothing that I have done other than unpack it that would have caused the injury described...
Just a thought; where in the garage was it and were you the only person accessing the area? If your household is anything like mine; George Carlin nailed it with a skit: My wife and kids are always moving or covering my $h** with there Stuff.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom