Horrible Customer Service Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad to know if I have a problem with a bladder it's cheap to fix!
I just received an estimate for the repair of my DSS wing: $10. I have no reason to believe the damage was the result of anything besides abuse by me, a baggage handler, or a helpful boat crew. More than fair, in my opinion.

Just a thought; where in the garage was it and were you the only person accessing the area? If your household is anything like mine; George Carlin nailed it with a skit: My wife and kids are always moving or covering my $h** with there Stuff.:wink:

It was actually lying on top of all of my other scuba gear. After I received it, I placed it there since it was going to be packed with everything else for the upcoming trip.

I ended up with a small hole in my Evolve last spring in Mexico, which I can only assume happened on the flight down. I usually put the wing in my carry-on, but didn't this time. We caught it on a bubble check, and a piece of duct tape held until I could get home and replace the bladder.

Probably bad luck,

No doubt, it's well within ScubaDocER's skill set to know how to take care of dive gear.
I HIGHLY doubt it's about the costs involved.....just the inconvenience involved.

It does suck, I'd be frustrated about it also.

-Mitch

I think you elucidated my point perfectly. This is not so much an issue of cost. But more an issue of customer service.

It was not. It was a tear at the top of the bladder. I could see it when I unzipped the wing. I could not see the injury to the second bladder.

How did you unzip a zipless wing?

not trying to take a side here but....
This is exactly why I carry my own gear to and from the boat every time.
Most crews as good as they are have a rough time moving those HUGE bloody suitcases that divers pack, and when you have to lug them across a boat or two to get them on to your boat, by the time they get them there they drop them on a hard deck.
I have had one pinch hole in a bladder, and I KNOW I didn't cause it.
So I had to figure out how it happened, it turned out the ONLY thing that could have happened was the crew moving my kit.
So now (I work as an Instructor) everyone knows not to touch my kit, I move it and lug it to the boat myself, No one touches it.
It's a bit of a joke really, but why should I trust my stuff to some bonehead boat-boy who doesn't give a damn about how much my equipment costs to repair or even replace?

I bet if you could find out where the problem came from, you wouldn't be blaming the company that did the original repairs.

On the other hand, I have built my repair shop on the quality of other peoples service here, and I have done fairly well out of doing HIGH quality repairs in an area where doing the least is the norm.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Cheers

I think you elucidated my point perfectly. This is not so much an issue of cost. But more an issue of customer service.

How is this an issue of customer service?

You sent him a damaged wing that was not covered by warranty repair.

seems to me that he offered to

1.) take apart your wing
2.) fix/repair/replace your bladder
3.) reassemble your wing/bladder
4.) test once assembled.

all for the grand cost of $50 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me. He's prob LOSING MONEY doing it that cheap in labor/parts.

so I ask again.... How is this an issue of customer service?

oh wait... you want him to give you a new wing for FREE, and while he's at it, pitch in FREE SHIPPING on top of it, then kiss your ass and tell you how right you were?

Then would it be good customer service for you? :popcorn:

not trying to take a side here but....
This is exactly why I carry my own gear to and from the boat every time.
Most crews as good as they are have a rough time moving those HUGE bloody suitcases that divers pack, and when you have to lug them across a boat or two to get them on to your boat, by the time they get them there they drop them on a hard deck.
I have had one pinch hole in a bladder, and I KNOW I didn't cause it.
So I had to figure out how it happened, it turned out the ONLY thing that could have happened was the crew moving my kit.
So now (I work as an Instructor) everyone knows not to touch my kit, I move it and lug it to the boat myself, No one touches it.
It's a bit of a joke really, but why should I trust my stuff to some bonehead boat-boy who doesn't give a damn about how much my equipment costs to repair or even replace?

I bet if you could find out where the problem came from, you wouldn't be blaming the company that did the original repairs.

On the other hand, I have built my repair shop on the quality of other peoples service here, and I have done fairly well out of doing HIGH quality repairs in an area where doing the least is the norm.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Cheers

I am with you I do not let anyone touch my gear and to date have not had a single problem. Those who did not pay for it do not care. I get a lot of looks and questions when I get on boats here I I just tell them I will do it. They just write it off as a gringo thing.

On the subject of service it is just an opinion and I will not go there... So many have already expressed opinions and it just boild down to 2 things:

1. Warranty - if it was in warranty the company does it a just smiles...
2. Not in warranty - The client tries to get the best deal he can to get the repair.

As for if I damage my gear like this I would if the wing had a zipper repaired it my self if I could get to the spot and it was just a small hole but that is just me. I also repair my Boats also and I know most people do not have that skill.

Good luck with your diving and we might want to move on. Never helps to beat a dead horse for toooo long.
Just my 2 cents.

As for if I damage my gear like this I would if the wing had a zipper repaired it my self if I could get to the spot and it was just a small hole but that is just me. I also repair my Boats also and I know most people do not have that skill.

I tend towards DIY whenever possible. That means I look for designs that are more accommodating of user repairs. I would be hesitant to buy a bladdered wing that did not permit user access even if the zipper is an added failure point. Duct tape really can do a good job for a temporary repair especially in warm water with no neoprene where the wing may get very little actual use. I cracked the plastic shoulder dump on a Coz trip once (rig took a tumble during the boat ride) and it really was not a problem until the rig had to be removed and handed up at the surface. That took a little extra attention and care. T-nut has been added to my save-a-dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom