Horizontal trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok all,

I was just reading the upteenth PADI discussion:) and came across something Mike Ferrara mentioned about PADI not teaching horizontal trim. This is totally unrelated to the PADI discussion, but it brought to mind a skill I have ongoing problems with. I can swim neutrally and horizontally all day long and I can remain neutral in a stationary position without any problem. My problem is maintaining a horizontal position while stationary. My feet are always sinking. Funny thing is...and I know this has to do with changing buoyancy characteristics at shallower depths, but my feet start floating upwardly when I am at 15 ft.
So...Can any of you who have had experience with this problem and/or have been effective in correcting horizontal trim problems with divers, please chime in. I would be willing to practice any suggestions since it is an ongoing frustration....BTW...I am 6'4"...32 inches from head to hip and 44 inches from foot to hip. Weight 200 lbs...Your input will be greatly appreciated...Bobby

7mm Gold Core

what sized tank are you using?

how many dives do you have?

What kind of fins do you use?

Tanks...Steel 100's...Double 80's. Sometimes have to use aluminum 100's but generally steel.
BCD...OMS bungeed 45lb...
Exposure suit...3mm May thru Oct. 7mm Winter...
Exclusively salt water diving.
Howarde, I have logged about 100 dives last year and plan on the same this year. Total...Approx 400 to date...
I don't have to use additional weight with the steel tanks...just steel backplate.
Fins...Thrusters...

and this trim position happens all the time?

I would try adjusting the tank position on your back. You are 6'4"

My friend who is that tall likes a steel 120, since it's longer, it helps him trim easier.

Have you tried shifting the tank towards your head a bit? Sometimes a slight shift there is enough to balance out your trim just a bit.

rawls:
Ok all,

I was just reading the upteenth PADI discussion:) and came across something Mike Ferrara mentioned about PADI not teaching horizontal trim. This is totally unrelated to the PADI discussion, but it brought to mind a skill I have ongoing problems with. I can swim neutrally and horizontally all day long and I can remain neutral in a stationary position without any problem. My problem is maintaining a horizontal position while stationary. My feet are always sinking. Funny thing is...and I know this has to do with changing buoyancy characteristics at shallower depths, but my feet start floating upwardly when I am at 15 ft.
So...Can any of you who have had experience with this problem and/or have been effective in correcting horizontal trim problems with divers, please chime in. I would be willing to practice any suggestions since it is an ongoing frustration....BTW...I am 6'4"...32 inches from head to hip and 44 inches from foot to hip. Weight 200 lbs...Your input will be greatly appreciated...Bobby

If you have access to a pool use it.

Take some temporary weights with you, ankle weights, soft weights drop weights etc.

Us the bottom of the pool as a horizontal reference. Dump the gas in your BC and lay on the bottom of the pool, assume the proper swimming position, i.e. thighs horizontal, back arched, knees bent 90, hand infront. Add little puffs of gas to your BC until you can just lift off the bottom of the pool with a deep breath.

If your chest rises, you need to move weight north, if your knees are over your head, move weight south.

Once you get balanced out in a neutral swiming position you can make small adjustments while diving by extending your legs, or pulling them up to your rear.

Good luck,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom