Horizontal trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls:
Not "forcing" anything...I am completely comfortable when swimming and maintaining a horizontal position. When I begin to swim, my legs rise naturally with the movement. I don't know what you are alluding to when you say "truly still." Just because one's legs are negative, doesn't indicate that he or she cannot remain "truly still" as you suggest.

I hade the same problem. You don't know it, but you are compensating for your "heavy" feet when you're finning. I got horizontally neutral by moving the tank "north" a bit and shifting some of my weight from my waist to the shoulder straps of the BCD.

cool hardware52:
I'm not looking to pick a fight here...It's when you need to hover that weight distribution is the key.

Tobin...Not trying to pick a fight at all...Your above comment that weight distribution is the help I was looking for and suggestions as such.

RJP:
Obviously not.

:)

I think you are objecting to the word "forcing" as if it implies some sort of negative connotation. As Tobin - and others - have pointed out, if you are not horizontaly trim when motionless you're not trimmed out properly. The fact that you "must" swim to achieve horizontal trim demonstrates (by definition) that swimming "forces" your non-horizontal position into trim.

RJP...I appreciate your clearing up your point...I don't appreciate your first comment...There was no need for it...

Post a picture of yourself diving/holding a hover so then we can make such statements. :wink:

rawls:
As to the "Obviously not" comment...Have you ever dived with me to make such a statement...I didn't think so...

I don't have to dive with you to know you're not properly trimmed out, I'm willing to take your word for it in your first post. (Note the little "smiley face" in my original post, as well as in this one.)

:)

You acknowledged in your initial post that you are not horizontally trim and asked for advice on how to correct this. You've been given some good information, and now for some reason are taking issue at the suggestion that you are NOT horizontally trim. Just struck me as funny, that's all.

Again, people here are referring to the what might be called the "physics definition" of force ("producing or tending to produce a change in movement") and not suggesting that you are somehow contorting yourself or otherwise unnaturally straining to achieve horizontal trim when swimming.

As to application of a "standard" in this regard, there's no "category" here that you're being asked to fit yourself into. It's binary. Either you are horizontal, or you aren't.

There has been some great advice on this thread, I have learned alot from y'all!

Best thing for me, as I am learning, is to have someone observe you and correct you while holding trim. Also use a mirror and if possible videotape yourself. That is what I hope to do next to see what I need to work on. I just switched to a SS BP/W so now things have changed alot but now it is easier to hold trim. I am noticing that when I get low on an AL80, I need to have added weight hanging off the bottom of my tank so I can maintain control and not have the dreaded BUTT LIFT EFFECT during a controlled ascent. Also having neg fins (JETS) have helped alot!

Good luck and HAPPY DIVING!

SparticleBrane:
Post a picture of yourself diving/holding a hover so then we can make such statements

I originally posted this as a cheap shot comment and if it was so be it...I do appreciate the mirror suggestion...Think it's a good idea actually...

RJP:
You acknowledged in your initial post that you are not horizontally trim and asked for advice on how to correct this. You've been given some good information, and now for some reason are taking issue at the suggestion that you are NOT horizontally trim. Just struck me as funny, that's all.

RJP
I think I stated that I swim horizontally and comfortably in the water column...I never took issue to the fact that I wasn't horizontal while stationary, then we got into this force stuff and you cleared up what you were trying to say...and I appreciate it...and genuinely apologize if I misinterpreted your other comment....

howarde:
You are 6'4" .
My friend who is that tall likes a steel 120, since it's longer, it helps him trim easier.
I'm about 6'5" and 245 lbs. The first time I dived (NOT DOVE! Heh) a steel LP 120 I felt like I was flying like superman. Great trim. But it's as heavy as a water heater.

I'm diving a jacket style BC. And with that said, was having the heavy feet syndrome, so I moved my tank up. I had to move it up so far that my transmitter was hitting me in the back of the head. I generally set myself slightly negative to compensate for tank buoyancy, so overweighting wasn't my issue (I don't think). While I was taking my AOW a couple weekends ago the instructor told me to move my tank down and throw a ankle weight on the tank valve. Did that, and all is peachy! No more head bangs on the transmitter and I can hover w/o going heads up/feet down or vise versa. Although, I do sometimes fall sideways.. :D

rawls:
Not "forcing" anything...I am completely comfortable when swimming and maintaining a horizontal position. When I begin to swim, my legs rise naturally with the movement. I don't know what you are alluding to when you say "truly still." Just because one's legs are negative, doesn't indicate that he or she cannot remain "truly still" as you suggest.

Rainer...Where on the top of the plate? How about the tank?

Ok, "forcing" was not the correct term to use. When you are foot heavy naturally, your body is like a giant fan underwater. As soon as you begin forward movement, the action of your fins, and the water pressure, act to rotate you back into horizontal. Once the water pressure is gone, you rotate back to "normal."

By trully still, I meant no movent other than breathing. No sculling, no feet, no legs. Just pretend you are asleep underwater. This of course doesn't mean you can't be neutrally bouyant, just that when you are, your body finds it's equilibrium.

Comrade Stroke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom